PDA

View Full Version : Tut: Load/Ed./Saving variables w/Flash and Perl QUESTION?

bchalker
02-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Tutorial: Loading/editing/Saving variables with Flash and Perl (http://actionscript.org/tutorials/intermediate/load_edit_save_vars/index.shtml)

The tutorial was great! Actually answered and helped me understand something I've been wanting to do for a while.

I am a complete newbie with PHP/CGI/Perl, so when I utilize it, I am just modifying what is in the script, not writing from scratch, so I have a few questions. I could not find Jeffrey Hil (or his website) or I would have sent an email (thanks for the tut, Jeffrey :) )

A couple of questions:
1) In the "admin" section - I am able to input HTML encoded text and save it with no problem, but I have to put the tags in. I know of Josh Dura's flash text editor, and it has the buttons for Bold, Italics, etc, with the text reflecting the effect of the tag. What would need to be done to create a similar effect?

2) I emailed Josh, and he said his editor could be coded to accept the CGI script, therefore allowing you to load and edit within his editor. Would anyone have an idea of what would be involved with that?

3) Can the script pull from a DB rather than a text file?

4) Is there a way of "saving as..." to save a new file?

Again, I am very new at all of this and am a bit overwhelmed with it all, so I'm sorry if the questions are too vague...or stupid ;)

freddycodes
02-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Yeah I sent that guy a fully working example of loading files from a MySQL database using PHP to his editor, but I never heard back from him. I can give you the PHP code, if you want to try and migrate it to PERL.

bchalker
02-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Oh man freddycodes, PHP is what I would prefer, actually. Thank you.

Would you be able to email the PHP code? I would really appreciate it.

I found his email on Flashkit, but haven't heard from him yet either.

splict
02-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Actually, freddycodes, I wouldn't mind looking at this either if you don't mind. I've written stuff that does this sort of thing, but mainly I want to study your coding style :D mine looks like s***!

freddycodes
02-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Yeah tonight, I can get it together.

The one I wrote relies on PHP with WDDX support.

loverofpostin
08-26-2006, 02:55 AM
Hi, Ive been playing with this tutorial too, and I manage to edit the text, save it then reload the flash page and it shows the edited text in the text box, but if i reload the page again the text box goes blank.. im compeltely baffeled by this, all my paths are set up correctly. Im not sure whats going wrong... I mean the point of this is to be able to edit a text file from the web and have it stay that way till i edit it again, but this seems to just stay for a one time use then its wiped clean. Please help.