PDA

View Full Version : Umeployment

THOR
07-25-2001, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know of any full time openings? unfortunately I have joined the masses in the design umemployment line. Any help would be great for any leads in the New York area or any area for that matter. I am willing to move for work.

clueless1
08-17-2001, 04:11 PM
i was at designiskinky today and they posted something about a company in New York looking for people.

send urls/resumes

[email protected]

the site hiring:

http://www.rockstargames.com/

here is the url for design is kinky. i love this site.

http://www.designiskinky.com

THOR
08-17-2001, 04:34 PM
thanks alot for the info, i will look into, it, since i havent gotten any responses from any resumes i dropped to companies, nobody loves me :(

clueless1
08-17-2001, 04:44 PM
don't give up. competition out there must be pretty stiff. have you tried http://www.dice.com ?? you might also look into having your resume professionally done. tweak it up a bit. and in your spare time you could put together some new work for your portfolio. just little 'experiments' or projects that show off your skills. i'm sure things will turn around for you. keep your chin up!

did you check out the design is kinky site? they are having some type of flash movie and a t-shirt design competition.

could be fun. try not to think of it as unemployment. think of it as a vacation!

:)

THOR
08-17-2001, 05:14 PM
well the thing about being a designer, i wouldnt let a professional do my portfolio, because i am a professional, and i can do it for myself, for free. If i cant create a portfolio for myself that is good enough , then how can i get a job in design? ya know?

clueless1
08-17-2001, 06:21 PM
i just meant you might have someone(a writer or something) look at your written resume and beef it up. i wasn't talking about your work. i guess i didn't say that right.i just meant the way that it is written down on paper. my resume could use some professional help. prospective employers see you first on paper. i wish i had somebody to help me with mine.

sorry if you misunderstood.

good luck with the job hunt!

kingarturo
08-17-2001, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by clueless1
...try not to think of it as unemployment. think of it as a vacation!

I've been on vacation for about 8 months now :p :D

THOR
08-17-2001, 07:09 PM
well my vacation starts today, and i would rather not make it more than a month, my debtors may come break my kneecaps

clueless1
08-17-2001, 07:21 PM
THOR i did a search on dice for Flash in New York. results here. hope you find something soon. I'm in Oklahoma. We don't have much of a flash demand here. I work for a small firm. I wish I lived somewhere like New York. some of the top/dream agencies are there. (hillman curtis, egomedia, kioken). LA would be nice 2.

http://jobsearch.dice.com/jobsearch/jobresults.cgi?sr=1&hp=10&cf=09.7f72ff00&brief=0&banner=1

King:

I don't know what the Canadian market is like. I wish you lots of luck though. If i see anything posted anywhere I will let you know.

kingarturo
08-17-2001, 11:04 PM
Hey thanks clueless1, really appreciate the thought. I'm not sweating it yet since the wife says she don't mind supporting me for awhile longer :D. Maybe that's what Thor needs to do...get a wife for that second income. Good luck in your search Thor for whatever (job or wife) and thanks again clueless1, that was a really nice thing to write.:)

Peace.

clueless1
08-17-2001, 11:10 PM
since we are on the subject i thought i would share an idea that i have.

i usually send resumes via email. but i know that a lot of people request the resume through the mail (on the nice paper and stuff). or when looking for freelance work we sometimes mail stuff (brochures ect).

i think it would be a good idea to create a demo on cd. or put your portfolio together on cd and make sort of a presentation of it. make sense? it would help you to stand out against the competition i think. i answered another thread earlier with directions on how to do this (for anyone who doesn't know):

http://www.actionscripts.org/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=4891

also, it would be a cool marketing idea 2. there are companies that will cut your cdroms to look like biz cards. but if you have a burner(mine is gathering dust since napster shut down) and some CD-R's then you can burn them yourself and distribute to potential employers and customers.

maybe it's not a great idea. but you never know.

just a thought guys.

also, on the subject of cheap biz cards/postcards here is a url:

http://www.1000bizcards.com

King: thanks! you're a lucky guy. your wife sounds like a gem.

[Edited by clueless1 on 08-17-2001 at 06:12 PM]

THOR
08-17-2001, 11:56 PM
i am about a year and a half out of college, but while i was there, we had our senior shows to prepare for, crazy time of little sleep and fights for the printers. one thing we all bought were blank cds that are the size of the inner ring in your cdrom, similar to a businesscard cd, although you can burn them yourself, and they come in a semi snappy little jewel case, and they also hold about 150 megs were a business card cd holes only 40 or so, i think they were a little less the 2 dollars a piece, makes a nice addition to a crazy flash presentation, i will do some research as to where we got them, and let you know if anyone is interested

clueless1
08-18-2001, 01:07 AM
i'm definately interested. that sounds great. especially the jewel cases.

thanks THOR.

happy hunting.

DigiScript
08-28-2001, 08:50 PM
THOR, I dig your site and you've god some really good work, but I noticed you have macromedia premiere listed as software you know... its Adobe Premier. Probably want to yank that out before you direct anyone else to your site.

THOR
08-28-2001, 09:05 PM
thanks dig, totally missed that when editing. guess i gotta be more careful, all this job hunting and loan defering has got my head all messed up

thanks again

Strok
08-29-2001, 04:50 AM
Message from Toronto (Canada)
The market is really down at this period of time here.
I lost my job as a web developer over 4 months ago (company didn't survive) and one month later was hired again by some small company just to do some consulting work.

Work is done. And I'm looking again

I sent over 700 cover letters with a links to my portfolio page and resume and I can tell you employers are not really looking for ppl right now
Because I can track all visitors to my portfolio page and I can tell you there was just a few of them.
I got just one explanation:
HR -- postings some jobs just to show they doing something

I was told (not ones) that everything going to be better in the end of this year. At this time an employer is not capable to have his own webdeveloper, and it means it's good time for us to do some freelance job

How to find ?
There's a lot of scrap-websites all over the internet
find > send an offer to redesign>do it

Chances ? 1/50

by the way
There's my portfolio page : http://www.actionscripts.org/demo/

Good luck (I need it too :))

B00MER
09-05-2001, 01:32 AM
Ive sent out over 100 resumes, and had quite a few phone conversations with recruiters and businesses, just no one wants to hire you unless you know AIX, java, C++ or some kind of middleware, searching on dice.com for me turns up nothing. Same with computerjobs.com, I've been checking nttp://forums.macromedia.com jobs newsgroup on a daily basis, 90% of it is people posting that they are looking for work. After seeing how hard the IT industry is really getting hit, we would all like to think its just a slump and it will pick back up 4th quarter but I'm not putting my money on it, which is what alot of investors are doing. Going to have to find a part-time job somewhere to keep a roof over my head and food in me wee belly.

Just my 2cents.