PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - opening PDF's on CD-Rom

exwyzee
02-25-2004, 07:51 AM
Hi all

I'm having trouble opening PDF files from CD-Rom. At the minute I have a Flash file presentation, that when run, works and opens the desired PDF files (from HD)

However, when I come to embed this Flash file in HTML (I launch this HTML file via autorun), the PDF files won't open.

I'm a bit of a numtpy when it comes to coding (but I'm learning :D ), this is how it's set at the mo:

on (press) {
getURL("../PDF/the_basics/Enforcement.pdf");
}

Is there a code for '_root' or path name for CD-Rom searching? You know, a bit of code that will always look on the CD-Rom? I dunno, is it summit like ../folder/pdf/myfile.pdf or do the slashes need to be '..\name\etc.pdf?

Please 'elp!! :)

Ruben
02-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Well, the first this I would do is try exporting the fla to a exe instead of an swf and open the exe with the autorun-thing, it might work.

If it doesn't you might wanna try to set the absolute path-name instead of the relative [so "D:/somefolder/somemovie.swf" instead of "somemovie.swf"].

Tell me if it works...

In fact: tell me if it doesn't ;)

Good luck - Ruben

exwyzee
02-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Cheers Ruben

I'll give that a go when I'm nearer the completion time. At the mo, I'm concentrat'n on getting the hierarchy in place - big chunk 'O work I'll tell ya. I've got a 'test CD-Rom day' next week, so I'll keep all results posted here. Cheers anyway dude!

Lee

Ruben
02-26-2004, 03:41 AM
Good luck with the cd, I'll keep on reading

- Ruben

exwyzee
02-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Hi All

Well, this little issue, not being able to open PDF files via CD-Rom was bugging me 2day, so, you'll be glad to here, I've been doin some R+D today.

RESULTS!!! (o-yeah-baby):D :D :D

On mah presentation, I have 7 or 8 sub-topics which in turn open pdf files, so I decided to give each sub-topic a different path & I've found either of these 2 work:
on (press) {
getURL("./PDF/the_basics/Demolition.pdf");
}

or...
on (press) {
getURL("PDF/the_basics/Enforcement.pdf");
}

Just in case, I tried my autorun CD-Rom on 2 other PC's (eliminating the possibility of accessing the PDF's on mah HD)
& it worked. BUT!!! I had to make my .swf file into an .exe as it wasn't working as an .swf file. Schweet...:cool: