SeanPaul72
03-18-2004, 05:30 PM
So where is everybody?

Flash remoting is top notch.

So jump on board and post some code.

I feel so alone out here:confused:

senocular
03-18-2004, 06:16 PM
no, you're not the ONLY one. I think I saw the other guy around here not too long ago :p

SeanPaul72
03-18-2004, 06:54 PM
what did you do? just drop in to watch?

I think they call that voyerism (spelling?).:rolleyes:

CyanBlue
03-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Um... That was ME... :D

Well... I'm going to be honest with you...
I have not done much about the Remoting... and I am not so knowledgeble on that either...

But, flash-db.com or sephiroth.it has some good articles/files/help you can get when we talk about the Remoting... :)

SeanPaul72
03-18-2004, 07:14 PM
I've been to the Flash-DB forum but it's not as helpful as I would have hoped.

I've managed to get 2 amfphp projects working, but I'm struggling with others.

I could go on complaining, but I guess I'll eventually figure it out.

Then I'll post the files here for everyone to enjoy.

freddycodes
03-18-2004, 07:28 PM
What do you want to know about amfphp?

SeanPaul72
03-19-2004, 10:41 AM
For example, I can't get Jesse Stratford's tutorial to work.

I can't get the Pizza Service Tutorial to work (it doesn't write to my database, or show me the appropriate screen after I've ordered.

I also can't get the amfphp tutorials on Flash DB to work.

If you have any of these working, please stuff or zip the files and post it for me to compare to my files.

I'm sure I'm just miwsing something simple, but it has been almost 2 days of trial and error.

Thanks

prt1
03-30-2004, 05:37 AM
Well here's one dedicated user who built the local kids football site using
Flash Remoting, AMFPHP and MYSQL. (www.warsashwasps.co.uk (http://www.warsashwasps.co.uk))
It just makes it so easy!!!

Twister
03-30-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm new to Flash remoting and it's pissing me off. I have a post in here, and on macromedia calling for help and no one seems to know. :( I really want to learn more about remoting but now I'm soooo confused and lost.

Here are a few questions maybe you can help me out with.
1) do you put all your cffunctions in one .cfc file?
2) do you have to have a 'return type'? If so what do they all mean?
3) why does it not like me? :rolleyes:

Thanks
Thomas

SeanPaul72
03-30-2004, 12:11 PM
I've posted the 2 amfphp examples I got to work but I couldn't get any otherss to work (i.e. Actioonscript.org's tutorial by Jesse Stratford, Flash DB's Tutorial by Jorge Solis, or the Pizza examplpes form amfphp.org

Sorry I can't answer your questions.

1 becaus I'm not using cold fusion.

2. Because I haven't topuched amfphp in about a month.

3. I have morre faailures than success with amfphp.

If you do get any of the amfphp examples wworking, please post them heere so that I too can learn.

Twister
03-30-2004, 12:24 PM
well i got my issue fixed..... or worked around or something. I just moved a few #include things in my actionscript and wa-la. It worked. So now I'm back on track thinking this technology is cool. Until the next bump ;)

amjad
04-10-2004, 06:55 AM
hi all

do you know how 2 configure apache and amfphp plz tell me thnx

amjad

KarstenTS
04-19-2004, 03:26 AM
You're sure not the only FlashMX Guy, but I am the only one working with Remoting and EJB... better: Trying to work. :o

CyanBlue
04-19-2004, 07:30 AM
Ouch... That's gotta hurt... EJB... :D

freddycodes
04-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Remoting with EJB? Sounds like the old generator days. What application server are you using? JRUN?

Korona
04-20-2004, 02:46 PM
hehe, me do remotzing.

i gave flash .gif loading capability through remoting (amfphp). it was actually pretty nifty :P i dont think many people were interested though, what with thier .jpg addictions n all.

CyanBlue
04-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Hey, Korona... Can you tell us how you load GIF file via AMFPHP??? I'd love to hear how you did that... :)

Korona
04-21-2004, 11:55 AM
ok..

through a loadGif AS2 class i made, flash calls a service through amfphp. within the php class...

1. the url param (eg./sdg.gif) is loaded as an image using php's image manipulation libary. then, php parses each pixel into a hex, and (quite quickly) builds a multidimensional array of the image.

2. applies a simple compression compression algorithm i made. i wont go into specifics, but it reduces the data transfered by more than 200% on most GIF's, and about 20-30% larger than the size of the GIF file itself.

the pixel array is loaded into flash, and is drawn pixel by pixel using the draw API. it seems to do this much quicker than i expected, a 100px X 100px gif can be drawn almost instantly without any lag-time.

and that was that.

CyanBlue
04-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Ah... I see... Basically you create a pixel array from the GIF file and generate a image of the GIF within the Flash... That's nice... Thanks... Glad to head that it is quick... I guess that's because you are using the AMFPHP to pass the array... Otherwise, it will be really slow... :)

KarstenTS
04-23-2004, 02:21 AM
EJBs are not the problem (I'm using JBoss by the way). Flash Remoting is. ;)
However, OpenAMF does a great job.

CyanBlue
04-23-2004, 07:48 AM
OpenAMF... Never heard of that... Nice to see it though...

Just googled it and this is the one that came up...

OpenAMF - Open-source Java Flash Remoting
http://www.openamf.org/

Korona
04-23-2004, 11:05 AM
openAMF sounds interesting - ill check it out later :)

tg
04-23-2004, 12:04 PM
its a pretty sad state of affairs, but that page has a flash file on it, but its not showing up.... i get a blank page except for the sourcforge footer in both firebird and ie.

CyanBlue
04-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Um... I see the Flash stuff on the top and the content of the page just fine in IE 6... ???

tg
04-23-2004, 12:49 PM
i get nothing.... i can right click, and get the flash menu, but can't see a thing.

CyanBlue
04-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Hm... That's really strange... I got FP 7.0.19.0... What you got???

tg
04-23-2004, 01:05 PM
same.

PixelSense
05-07-2004, 08:48 AM
I'm new to Flash remoting and it's pissing me off. I have a post in here, and on macromedia calling for help and no one seems to know. :( I really want to learn more about remoting but now I'm soooo confused and lost.

Here are a few questions maybe you can help me out with.
1) do you put all your cffunctions in one .cfc file?
2) do you have to have a 'return type'? If so what do they all mean?
3) why does it not like me? :rolleyes:

Thanks
Thomas

not sure if u still need help but here goes...

1) just put as many <cffunction></cffunction>(s) as you want within the <cfcomponent></cfcomponent>

2) cfreturn returns your query results... so that u can use flash remoting to get the result into flash

3) well, u have to learn to like it first :p

i've done a dummy example, so maybe u can get an idea how the structure goes....

<cfcomponent>

<cffunction name= "getName" returntype="query" access="remote">
<cfquery name="name" datasource="myDatasource">

<!--- all your codes for ur database query goes here --->
<!--- SELECT, FROM, WHERE, etc..... --->

</cfquery>

<cfreturn #name#>
</cffunction>

<cffunction name= "getAge" returntype="query" access="remote">
<cfquery name="age" datasource="myDatasource">

<!--- all your codes for ur database query goes here --->
<!--- SELECT, FROM, WHERE, etc..... --->

</cfquery>

<cfreturn #age#>
</cffunction>

<!--- and it goes on and on --->
<cffunction></cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

hope that clears some things up :D

Twister
05-07-2004, 09:07 AM
Yea i got everything working, i still think it's duck taped together on my end but it works. :)

thanks for the help.

clem_c_rock
05-07-2004, 09:08 AM
If you're worried about people not participating you can always give a crack at some of my previous questions.

Oh, and here's another one: Is there any way to have flash ignore a whole section of code besides using comments? IE: ignoring actionscript on an entire layer.

We made it through another week!

Clem C

thefunnyone
07-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Just so you guys won't feel alone... I got into Flash Remoting too, using OpenAMF (actually evaluating Flash Remoting MX too, since it's a company project, and if it turns out fine, they just might buy it). Working on a calendar and the front-end part of a shopping cart solution. I think Flash Remoting is going to be huge soon... Or it better, because that's what I told my boss... ;)

Anyway... Does anyone know if openamf can actually perform the same tasks Flash Remoting MX does? (right now it seems that it can, but I might be totally wrong, and it wouldn't be a great thing to run into some problem in the middle of a running project)

mikeyd
08-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Will a reference object to an EJB (Enterprise Java Bean)(on JBOSS) time out and lose the connection if not calls are made within a certain amount of time?

If so, what is the default up-time? Is there a way to check the current time or change that default time?

A R Mohan
08-16-2006, 10:39 AM
I have a situation wherein i need the flash components to behave as data concious components wherein the data is residing in server(here accesibility to data will be thro' servlet ). The data will be either in xml format or reside in database. Suppose another application updates the data in remote database or an xml file the data component in flash should be concious enough to update that particular data in flash environment. Can this be achieved using Flash remoting and how?

mikeyd
08-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Flash Remoting is a request/response system. This means Flash uses Remoting to talk to your service (database/backend). The service only responds to Flash with each specific call from Remoting.

Remoting lacks the ability to push data from a backend (one reason I am angry with Remoting). I think the only way you can work around this is to use a 'heartbeat' function call. What I mean by this is to have a function that polls the backend at regular intervals. Every call, the backend will need to check if the data has changed (return it back if it did change).

This is an unclean way of designing data transfer, but it is the only way possible due to limitations by Flash Remoting. Hope this helps.

If anyone knows a different way to do this, please let me know.

CyanBlue
08-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Howdy and Welcome, guys... :)

I may not be the right guy to even post in this forum cuz I rarely use Flash Remoting, but I thought that I'd chip in my 2 cents...

As far as I can tell/remember, Flash Remoting is one way call to the server which utilizes the HTTP protocol... and you cannot really make it two way communication as long as you are using the HTTP protocol... Flash Remoting is a good one because it allows you to pass native object, but it is just not the right one to use if it has to be two way communication...

I do use the same method that mikeyd suggested and it works well most of the times, but there is a potential where you could be abusing the unnecessary traffic... I'd really check on the solution that utilizes socket to keep the connection/communication two way if you really have to that is...