PDA

View Full Version : loadvariable strange problem

barkers
07-30-2001, 10:36 AM
i am posting this question again because, i really need an answer and i dont think i explained it very well before.
so im gonna try again. :0)

the variables are loaded into _level0.loadVars
however i need the variables in lots of clips:
_level0.clip1.clip2.clip3.mc1.thisVar
_level0.clip1.clip2.clip3.mc2.thisVar
_level0.clip1.clip2.clip3.mc3.thisVar
_level0.clip1.clip2.clip3.mc4.thisVar

i thought i had found a way of doing it by saving a reference to _level0.clip1.clip2.clip3 like this:

var clipRef = _level0.clip1.clip2.clip3;

then i can load the variables like this:

clipRef.mc1.thisVar=value1&
clipRef.mc2.thisVar=value2&
clipRef.mc3.thisVar=value3&
clipRef.mc4.thisVar=value4

(without line breaks tho, obviously)
this is where things start to go a bit funny.

thisVar is assigned to a texbox in all cases. When i do the load variables the data loads and the values are assigned. i can see then on the screen. however i cannot access them.

if i assign values to the thisVar textboxes before doing the loadvariables. it loads in the same way, showing the new loaded variables. but flash thinks that the textboxes still have their old values.despite being able to see the new ones.

can anyone shed any light on why it is doing this, and give any suggestions as a way around.
i cannot pass the values accross in one long string and split them, because theres too much data and flash crashes. i have tried splitting them in JavaScript, and passing them back, however netscape just hangs when it gets to the split.

thanx in advance

barkers
07-30-2001, 03:12 PM
i have made an example .fla and txt file which i can email to anyone who thinks they may be able to help.
(im assuming that theres no facility to upload to this site)

Jesse
07-31-2001, 03:34 AM
hehe well there should by now be upload facilities but I've been so busy recently I haven't had time to get the dynamic open-source section online. gimme another week. sorry about the delay folks.