PDA

View Full Version : Holding playhead still (not stopped)?

moondust_82
05-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Hi....I just got the book "Drag Slide Fade" which has tons of errors, but I at least learned how to drag and drop simple movie clips so far.

So I decided to try and make something fun out of that little morsel of learning and am working on a really simple game. It has an intro with a stop action in the timeline where an arrow button takes the user to a new frame where some more animations load and various words (like those cheesy magnetic ones that you move around) come up and are programmed to let the user move them around and make silly phrases. Well, I had another stop action in the timeline at the point where everything is done animating/appearing on screen and the user can start moving the words around, but that stops the word objects' abilities to move at all...I took the stop action away and then you can move the words, but that is only in the split second before it loops back to the first frame in the intro. Is there a way to just hold the playhead still at the end? Like in Director? I don't know what to do :( I thought this was at least something easy I could get to work. :mad:

tg
05-21-2004, 09:13 AM
stop() should do it.

pixelwit
05-21-2004, 03:32 PM
I don't fully understand what you're trying to do but it sounds like you might need a loop, you can do that with code similar to this:

gotoAndPlay(_currentFrame-1);

-PiXELWiT
http://www.pixelwit.com

moondust_82
05-21-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the looping script...it worked in terms of holding the playhead still, but I still couldn't drag the words around, though....

This is the script I have on each of the word mc's to make them drag and droppable:

onClipEvent(mouseDown) {
if (this.hitTest(_root._xmouse,_root._ymouse, false)) {
this.startDrag();
}
}

onClipEvent(mouseUp) {
if (this.hitTest(_root._xmouse,_root._ymouse, false)) {
this.stopDrag();
}
}

Is there something in that code that causes a conflict with the stop() or loop commands? What I really don't understand is why creating a single frame, one layer movie with a draggable and droppable movie clip graphic using the code above previews and STAYS on the first/last/current/only frame without out the playhead moving ahead and clearing the contents....(that's the environment I learned to make a draggable clip in)....