PDA

View Full Version : Personal Snowboarding Site -Flash Only

Ordinathorreur
06-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Hello everyone.

This one has been finished for a while, but I'm working on a new site so I might be able to take the comments on to my next project.
Flash was the only program used.
The site is my contact with family and friends at home.

www.danieltodd.com

later....

project-09
06-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Its cool, its definitely got a unique style. I think your style is developing nicely reminds me of www.kigot.com with stuff expanding and all. The only thing that slowed me down is the text in the scroll box. But my comp has been funky ever since I reformatted it. Some of your typography stuff needs a little bit of work but overall I think its fun and interesting. Liked your photos of the grand canyon and all.

Ordinathorreur
06-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Some of your typography stuff needs a little bit of work

Could you maybe elaborate a bit on this? I'm not quite sure what you are refering to.

The slow text you are referring to is not limited to you (or your funky harddrive ) If you rollover the journal button, and then click on a journal, it will start to move to that journal, but the journal selector will also retract, causing the cpu to come under a little stress and slow doen the animation somewhat. This is probably because the text is all in one big movieclip that I am moving under a mask...

Oh and by the way that pic wasn't the grand canyon, it was in Utah somewhere along the highway... but it still looks cool! :cool:

rippazinc
06-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Nice job man. Really cool atmosphere throughout. Should put some screenshots for the movies though.

Awesome regardless :)

-RippaZ Inc.
www.rippazinc.tk
[email protected]

Ordinathorreur
06-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Less than 1% of you gave me some feedback........come on guys... spank me!

TennisStar
06-19-2004, 09:44 PM
gr8 site! liked the expanding and retracting part.

Quote: Less than 1% of you gave me some feedback........come on guys... spank me!
criticism:
dont ur parents mind u putting stuff like "monkeys balls" in ur journal? :D

Varun

petefs
06-19-2004, 10:06 PM
I like the site, I'll give you the spanking you want however:

1) the loader -- the rotating blocks are clunky and incongruous with the rest of the site...I'd just drop em all together, but you could find a more convincing shape and/or motion path for them

2) the first image I see is blurry and grainy -- sure, the trick is hot, but the photo isn't. Pick a higher fidelity image for the first one I see : )

3) the scoller...if this is developed for flash player 7, I highly advise mousewheel support. I really don't like the hover-style scrolling. If onMouseWheel isn't a possibility a key capture for the up and down arrows and/or page-up/page-down would be really nice.

4) After the nice afterglow of some smooth sexy animation at the beginning, I realize that the title & navigation text is, well...bland. I realize to show off the dark glimmer you need chunky text, but the font is an eyesore. plus I would play with the kerning -- bad kerning becomes extra noticeable when text is tracked in like that.

5) on the typography tip, the way ORDINATE SPACE is tracked out confuses my eye since the navigation text is about the same size and tracked all the way in. tracked out text tends to lose visual weight, and so the navigation draws too much weight IMHO. On top of that the gradient from bottom to top is incongruous with the diagonal shimmer that you do on a lot of the other text. I would animate the shimmer across is periodically instead, maybe?

that's the main stuff I'd say ^_^ good work, of course!

Ordinathorreur
06-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks a bunch for your time petefs, thats some feedback I can use! Unfortunatly it was all developed in FlashMX, so no mousescroll, I would have loved to have that option at the time. I learnt so much on this project it's amazing! I can't wait to finish a new one!

doublethink
07-01-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by project-09
Some of your typography stuff needs a little bit of work

i think he/she is reffering to the menu font. it seems too stark. that font that the title was made of in the yellow, any chance of using that?

the effects and transitions are really nice. the site is great, just that menu font feels off to me. just an opinion. good luck with it

CessilForever
07-07-2004, 03:46 PM
I like the way the tabs in the galley change colour after you have viewed them. Nice little touch.