PDA

View Full Version : URGENT>>>check my SNIFFER Please<<<

Metrov 8
02-18-2001, 12:50 AM
Not long ago, I installed the Moock Flash Detection system on my site. I thought it was working great until today when I found that it told two different computer systems that it didn't have Flash WHEN IT DID! Consequently, the visitors couldn't get to my site. <**>

If you test, and the system tells you that you don't have Flash, and you do, please post here with your OS, PC or Mac, and browser.

Thank you very much

http://fineartwebdesign.com

Strok
02-18-2001, 12:59 AM
I have W2K
tested in IE 5.0 and netscape 4.7
works fine

Metrov 8
02-18-2001, 01:01 AM
gratze gratze

Jesse
02-18-2001, 01:22 AM
WinME, IE5.5 and NS4.76
worked fine

Cheers

Jesse

Metrov 8
02-18-2001, 01:25 AM
merci beacoup

Some guy on were-here just told me the fpi didn't work; he has IE 4.5 on a Mac with Flash 5 installed and the system told him he didn't have Flash. But Moock says it's been tested ok on that system. What to do? m

Strok
02-18-2001, 01:37 AM
you can detect version inside flash
create an empty dynamic text box
and call it _version

Metrov 8
02-18-2001, 01:57 AM
Uhh, that sounds cool. But I think I need a few more details to understand exactly how this works. Do you put the text box on the first page? And then what happens? It tells the viewer what version of Flash he has? And if he doesn't have F5, some static text tells him he's gotta go get it? Is there a tutorial for this somewhere, Strok? Thanks

Strok
02-18-2001, 07:26 AM
Hi Metrov

There is a new idea come up in my head
I made a test and it works

it is simple.

frame1
input text (variable=test)
and action on first frame:

test = "test";
if (test=="test") {
gotoAndPlay (3);
}
frame2
action stop() and something like (you need flash 5 plugin)

frame3
link to movie

i made FLA for you
http://www.actionscripts.org/help/metrov8/detect_5_plugin.fla
How it works?
Flash 4 doesn't understend ==(test equality)

[Edited by Strok on 02-18-2001 at 02:38 AM]

Metrov 8
02-18-2001, 12:53 PM
Strok, thank you very much. I will try out your system. However, I've tried similar systems, and although they seem so simple and perfect, they did not work in several different circumstances. I don't know why. But I'll try yours. Thanks again, Metrov

Strok
02-18-2001, 04:38 PM
Logically it suppose to work fine.
Because it doesn't have deal with browser or OS

and on frame2 you can add GetURL action to page which will detect OS and browser and send user to the right download section of plugin.

I published it as a tutorial.And let me know please if it has any problems.

http://www.actionscripts.org/tutorials/beginner/flash5_plugin_detection/index.shtml

Metrov 8
02-19-2001, 12:51 AM
Strok, thanks for your tutorial. I'm ready to implement your F5 sniffer. However, I'm also quite happy with the Moock sniffer except for the occasional Mac problem. So I want to try the following:

1 -- When a Mac user with Flash goes to my site, and the Moock sniffer fails, it directs user to a page that says, 'You don't have Flash'.

2 -- So, I would like to put your detection .swf on that page. If the Mac user indeed has Flash, then your sniffer should take over and send him to the site, or tell him he needs to upgrade.

Do you see any problems with doing this? Do you think it'll work okay?

Thanks, M

Strok
02-19-2001, 01:01 AM
Yes I think it is a good idea to use SWF for double check!!!

Metrov 8
02-19-2001, 01:17 AM
Excellent, thank you. I'm going to do it. I'll post again for testing when it's set up. M

Metrov 8
02-19-2001, 01:10 PM
Moock's sniffer has now been implemented with Strok's system. [See Strok's tutorial: http://www.actionscripts.org/tutorials/beginner/flash5_plugin_detection/index.shtml]

When Mac users with Flash are mistakenly sent by Moock's sniffer to the page that says, 'You have no Flash', on that page resides a .small, invisible swf bearing a command that will send the viewer on to the main site.

If the viewer indeed has no Flash, he stays on that page.

If the viewer has Flash 4, I've added additional text asking him to upgrade using the provided link.

As far as I can see, this would be the most efficient detection system to date, but I still request checks, especially from Mac users. Thanks, Metrov

Strok
02-22-2001, 03:02 AM
Hi Metrov
The "Flash 5 plugin detection" tutorial is updated.

http://www.actionscripts.org/tutorials/beginner/flash5_plugin_detection/index.shtml

Metrov 8
02-22-2001, 02:49 PM
Hi Strok,

Is your new code for the latest version of Flash 5 player? How critical is it that viewers have the very latest version of Flash 5 player? Have a lot of bugs been fixed in Flash 5 player? I didn't even know there was an updated version of Flash 5 player.

Strok
02-22-2001, 02:59 PM
and a lot of people have 5.0.30.0 (first release of flash 5 player)

You have to change 41 to 29

I'll add this line in tutorial

Metrov 8
02-23-2001, 04:49 PM
Strok,

I went to check out your new, revised tutorial for the F5 sniffer. When I PRESS HERE TO TELL ME IF IT'S THE LATEST ONE, it tells me that I have the latest version of Flash 5 (5,0,42,0)which you say came out (Feb/21/01).

Well, two things. I never downloaded that version of Flash Player. And when I Test Movie in my Flash 5 program; then pulldown Debug / List Variables, it tells me this:

Level #0:
Variable _level0.$version = "WIN 5,0,30,0"

Doesn't this mean that I have the above version of player on my computer?

What do you think about this?

Also, did you design and create egomedia.com? Because it is an awesome site.

Metrov

Strok
02-23-2001, 05:10 PM
"latest version of Flash 5 (5,0,42,0)which you say came out (Feb/21/01). "

It did't come up in Feb/21/01
It says it is a lates version on this moment.

Second version of "flash 5 detection" belongs to Vitalij UNCLICABLE not to me.
egomedia.com is his BABY.

Metrov 8
02-23-2001, 05:17 PM
Thanks, that explains it. M

Metrov 8
02-23-2001, 05:23 PM
Strok,

When I launch a .swf on my harddrive. And then I look on the Help menu...it says Flash 4 Player. But I know I have Flash 5 Player on Internet Explorer. I think this is causing me a problem, because sometimes I launch F5 .swfs on my harddrive, and it won't play. They only play when I open them in an HTML page.

So I guess the player on my IE is different than the one on my computer for playing .swf files. Do you know how I update the Flash Player on my computer?

Thank you.

Metrov 8
02-23-2001, 05:28 PM
I think I discovered the problem -- I have both F4 and F5 player on my computer. When I launch a .swf on my harddrive, it uses whichever player was used last.

M

Strok
02-23-2001, 05:29 PM
Yes I can explain it.
If you have a Flash5 and after that you had a Flash4 installation.You will have flash 4 player as a default player on your PC.

And remember Browser plugin and Flash player are 2 different Things.

Metrov 8
03-01-2001, 09:48 PM
Due to seemingly endless failures of one sort or another, I've abandoned the sniffer endeavor for now. My site now has a simple indicator .swf and a manual enter button. It's so basic, I assume there could be no problems, but it's dangerous to assume, so I still request checks.

If anyone has a moment to report, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Metrov

nugjar
03-02-2001, 02:33 AM
hey..

ie5.5, 1024res, NT5...

it worked fine, although i thought the flash pics were the buttons to enter but still should not slow anyone down...