PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Appearance

Jesse
09-06-2001, 03:28 AM
Since we've got to migrate all our stuff to the new server we're updating the version of vBulletin (forum software) we use also. v2.03 is the latest and greatest. We were thinking that it might be good to bring the color scheme into synch with the rest of the site also, so here's what we came up with.
http://www.actionscripts.org/images/newforums.gif (38kb)
Ignoring things like the new logos (which ship with v2.03) and just basing your opinions on the color scheme - what do you think?

Forcer
09-06-2001, 11:19 AM
Um.. well.. i like the old ones much better, actually..

I did really not like the orange color, anyway.. it seemed a bit hard to read..

Except that - it looks ok.. but i like the old one better..

Josh
09-06-2001, 12:18 PM
Well from a color standpoint, I would make theorange a little darker. It doesnt seem to match the front page. Also from a graphics standpoint, I would change the buttons to have text like this graphic on the frontpage...

http://www.actionscripts.org/images/actionscripts.gif

I think it still needs a lot of work to be truthful. If you need some help with some graphic work, I would be more than happy to help you Jesse. Just email me at [email protected] :D Thanks!

Josh Dura

Azek
09-06-2001, 03:21 PM
It's not exactly the same colors as the main site, but it does fit the site more than the current blueish ones that I personally do not like a lot.

kingarturo
09-06-2001, 03:56 PM
Hi there,

I would just match the orange and the grey of the home page (the orange seems more like a salmon color and the grey is too light on the new one) and make the background of the new forum the same color as the old forum. :D my .02 cents

Peace.

zoomfreddy
09-06-2001, 05:03 PM
Hi there, just match the colors (a little darker the gray and the orange) :)

Immulsifier
09-06-2001, 07:28 PM
I think it looks OK actually :) Looks like I am the only one so far lol.

20 Ton Squirrel
09-06-2001, 09:37 PM
When I think of orange, something along the lines of #FFCC00 pop to mind... slap that out in HTML or Flash and see what TRUE orange looks like... Orange orange... Garfield Orange.

Whatcha got seems more... uh... "cantelope innard" pink to me. And everyone knows the deep impact that the color pink has on the unconscious psyche. VIOLENCE! DISCONTENT! Cats and dogs living TOGETHER! ANARCHY, I say!!! CHAOS!!!

*ahem*

I'm fond of the tame blue-ish color scheme we have now, but since retina-burn orange is my favorite I'm all for a change. Maybe you could do something like myYahoo and make the color scheme customizable on a user-level? That would be spiffy.

And while you're at it you could expand the forum's capabilities by coding a genious AI that answers questions automatically as they are posted. While you work on that, I'll be hacking the source code for reality...

jake
09-07-2001, 02:37 AM
awesome i love it

Jesse
09-07-2001, 06:26 AM
eheh Strok is the asthetic mind behind the site, and we agreed the orange should be a bit darker also. so we'll fiddle. actually vBulletin 2.03 allows users to select their desired 'skins' almost, so I think we'll make the default the new one (with a diff orange) but we'll make a blue version too. sound good?

thanks for the input everyone.

pinkaboo
09-07-2001, 07:53 AM
sounds great to me.
but 20 Ton Squirrel!- not Garfield orange, I think you'll find it's TIGGER orange, he's the best! <boing>
;0)
K

Jesse
09-07-2001, 08:30 AM
t-i-double g -rrrr :)

Ricod
09-07-2001, 01:01 PM
Well, the black on grey reads better than the black on the current grey. The orange should indeed be darker. The white letters are hard to read. (or maybe I need a bigger monitor). I think the colour scheme works fine. Does anyone really need another ? (hmm ... now that I think about it, maybe it's nice. Not everybody likes orange.) Of course everything is just an opinion. (does the new version involve new icons ?)

Rico D

Jesse
09-07-2001, 01:37 PM
Yeah it will use the new icons which ship with v2.03 but we're going to ask users to design some snazzy icons for us :) thx for your opinion. I think a lot of people are leaning towards keeping it as is...

Immulsifier
09-07-2001, 02:02 PM
Any Timescale as to when it will be up and running Jesse?

Strok
09-08-2001, 04:32 AM
Our new server is 95% ready
It comes with our own DNS server but we don't have a secondary DNS. We'll move on dedicated server so soon as we'll find a solution.

Rupert
09-08-2001, 05:25 AM
Yep - Just darken the orange a little and it will be cool. My vote goes to Tigger also.
Cheers, Rupert

D-flyer
09-08-2001, 02:52 PM
1 Those buttons on the right are "very" present
2 the name of the first button above the forum "user cp" was "profile", right? I don't think "user cp" is clear enough.
3 The orange color is a little bit weak in contrast with the greys

These things are all minor details

Main message: Keep it up and running you're doing a good job

Greetz,
D-flyer

Jesse
09-09-2001, 03:21 AM
heh great domain. gotoandplay.com :)

tg
09-09-2001, 06:37 AM
damn,
i like the orange, i really do.

but now when i sit here in this site i will crave cremecicles all day long...

gonna have to stock up.

tg

red penguin
09-09-2001, 03:21 PM
As orange is also a personal favorite of mine, I can't disagree with the choice...However, I also do like the present colors on the forum...these blues/greys kinda relax me and soothe my stressed mind...

now, back to work, kid...

20 Ton Squirrel
09-09-2001, 03:49 PM
*slaps on some James Galloway for the Penguin*

UP WITH ORANGE!!! BRING ON THE PAIN!!! BRING ON THE EYESTRAIN!!!

defrex
09-12-2001, 08:58 PM
:) i like it! a agree with everyone about the orange though. darker. also i noticed a smaller font, witch i'm thinking could posibly be the settings on you machine, but if its not, stay with the current font size. also, is the scroll bar colour due to your system settings or are you doing that with css? i like the idea of coloured scroll bars, but i was just wondering.

Strok
09-12-2001, 09:52 PM
Yes it's a css and it comes with a vBulletin Version 2.03

defrex
09-13-2001, 01:35 AM
by chance dose it work in NS?

Strok
09-13-2001, 03:28 AM
as you know
the "scroll bar things" never going to work in NS
By the way I'm not a big fun of it. (maybe we'll take it off from the css)