PDA

View Full Version : -.-' designers block.... any suggestions?

White_Leviathan
09-10-2001, 08:21 PM
I use to be able to shoot out great designs in minutes, but for the past few weeks I cannot do ANYTHING good -_- i feel like a newbie, any help on how to get the right side of my brain working again? -_- thx

Jesse
09-11-2001, 07:53 AM
well I'm not a designer but I find that the best idea is to NOT look at anything of a similar nature because then all that happens is I get these brain waves and they turn out to be stolen ideas from other sites etc. personally I like going back to art books and things you use in every day life. go around your house and checkout the sorts of interfaces your appliances have if you're at a loss for a nav idea, for example.

vilehelm
10-03-2001, 04:50 AM
get away from the computer, go see a band play, go see something creative that is not on a monitor.

as far as being influenced by what sites you see i think that's unavoidable and to tell the truth originality is kind of a myth. we're all stepping on the backs of someone who came before us and the conventions that develop are for the most part a real help in communication.

i go see really loud bands play really loud music and that knocks the cobwebs loose

i also go to coolhomepages.com to see cool design stuff.

vile

20 Ton Squirrel
10-03-2001, 06:35 PM
I'm totally on the same beam with Vile, yet again. Werd. Go see/listen to a band. There's nothing like thrashing it out to Fear Factory or mellowing out to Clannad. Check out art books, like Jesse suggested.

I agree that we all base our tastes on what others have wrought. Originality is really just a perspective. Creativity is like a well within us all, and at times we scrape it dry. It's something we all take for granted, this potential within us. At those times when I feel tapped out, I go out and do something totally unrelated and pour myself into it... even if it is something as mundane as mowing the lawn.

Take up martial arts! Go do something physical that you enjoy. I go practice Judo, swing the bokken, knock myself silly with the nunchaku. Go do a sport for a while... anything to free your mind from the mode of thought that it gets trapped in - like a skipping record.

I guess what it is that renews our creativity is a love for life, or one of its aspects. When we focus too much on one particular thing we become jaded and blind to the rest of the beauty in the world around us. That's what makes us distinctly human.

And, for your edification, slamming your head against a cinderblock does not stimulate braincells... nor does it get rid of a hangover.

mpol777
10-03-2001, 09:28 PM
i always go back to the old school, dust off the old history of art book, and check out the classics. if i have the time i'll head outside to the desert (or woods if you live in a place where it actually rains). checking out the landscape, clouds, shadows, etc. sometimes i can see a cool shape, texture, color or something that sparks an idea. if i'm really stuck i head to the shooting range and vent some frustration on some paper :)

45degrees
10-19-2001, 08:35 AM
NEVER go look at other sites - it'll just blurrrrr your brain.....

tg
10-19-2001, 02:58 PM
all great ideas, but i'm with mpol777 100% get outside. the great outdoors is the original inspiration. -- hey and books are great, but got to the originals in your vacinity (hit a museum or two or three).

vilehelm
10-22-2001, 09:08 PM
Actually I think it's very helpful to look at other sites, just not while you're working.

My usual mo is:

Look at a lot of stuff, think, absorb etc...

then put all of that away and go ape **** within the bounds that you've placed for yourself (boudaries are important).
Sit back look, think, absorb...repeat

Don't compare what you're doing to anything anybody else is doing. It's not useful.

But I'd be aware of what's out there.

20 Ton Squirrel
10-22-2001, 09:21 PM
Sit back look, think, absorb...repeat

*glances to Vile's shampoo bottle*
"Soak, lather, rinse, repeat..."

Hmmmmm... well, it obviously works for him!

Now, back to my aerobics class! And ONE and TWO and THREE and FOUR... ughhhh... only... 19.9 tons to go!