PDA

View Full Version : floating 'hints'...

Romulus
09-09-2004, 08:09 PM
I have been looking around for a tutorial that shows how to make the little floating hints that will pop up sometimes if you go over a certain button or something. They will usually be a clickable option that have a title in a rectangle with a small triangle at one end pointing to where the mouse hovered over to make the box pop up in the first place.
I realize that this explanation is pretty vague, but hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about.

Any ideas about a really good tutorial for this effect?

Xeef
09-09-2004, 09:11 PM
not sure i understand you

you coud make an on(rollover) wich call a function to show the hint on(rollout) to destory it to let it not aper instantli call it whit setInterval if rollout clearinterval

senocular
09-09-2004, 10:11 PM
can you provide an example or a picture of an example?

Romulus
09-09-2004, 11:56 PM
I know the description was a little vague.
Anyway, this was the closest thing I could find after searching for a while...

http://www.billybussey.com/

if you hover over the blue logo in the center you'll notice a little text box floating around after the mouse pointer as long as it's in the 'hit area'.
I would like to be able to do the same thing with a smaller zone and with a different image....(I trust they're pretty interchangable). I figured it would just be the code to define the area for the rollover and rollout and what image to bring up in the event the user performs the action.

Is there a good place with a tutorial on this kind of stuff?

Dr Warm
09-10-2004, 07:32 AM
I think this is what you mean, it's pretty simple Captions Link (http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/captions.htm)

Romulus
09-10-2004, 11:54 AM
That's exactly what I was talking about....

Thanks a lot!

mobzilla
09-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Those captions work great! Great idea! :D

Xeef
09-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Hmmmmmmm

i think the BEST exampel for this is if you click new post hier on As.org

and go ower a thread
you get the first x lines of the tread whit out the need to open it
i mis this so much on other sides !