PDA

View Full Version : subclassing TextField for automatic localization

whoeiee::eani
09-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi guys,

I'm creating a Flash application for a multilingual website. To make things easier for me and the people who will be updating / localizing the application, i thought i'd write some sort of LanguageManager object, which implements all of the code to dynamically change the site's text content via xml files.

Now for the question(s):

- I'd like to be able to use some custom subclass of the TextField object, that responds to the LanguageManagers commands. The code for this is not the problem, but I was wondering if it is possible to extend the tools / properties palettes with this custom object so one can use this object at design-time without having to write script to access it's properties. I've thought about creating a component for this purpose, but that seems a bit 'overkill', since most (99%) of the action will be going on in the LanuageManager and the clients of the custom TextFields. Any comments?

ps. not sure where this post belongs, so i'm submitting it to 'actionscript 2.0' too... (sorry for the double post)

thanks in advance for any comments / suggestions