PDA

View Full Version : Managing Extensions

wyclef
10-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi,

Do people use the Extension Manager a lot? What's the best way to utilize this application? Just download a bunch of extensions and try them out? What's the latest version of extension manager? What's the difference between an extension and a component?

Also, can someone explain how to utilize the Flash Project thing in MX 2004 to my advantage?

tdoublea
10-05-2004, 03:00 AM
version 1.6.062 i think...
The Extension Manager is basically used to unzip any .mxi files you may download of the web. mxi files are packages that contain an extension to Flash- such as a command, component, tool, or effect- and an xml file containing to any information about these extensions... like descriptions, what directories to place them, etc.
You mainly use it when you double click on an mxi file you have downloaded, but you can always open the extensions manager and check out which extensions you have from outside sources and their info. You can also send any extensions you have made or visit the Macromedia Exchange site from the File menu

As far as the Flash Project... i'm not sure. don't use it. But i assume it's an easy way to navegate to and associate flas, jsfl, classes pertaining to a project from within flash, instead of having to go to File>Open to find any files pertaining to a project- kind of like Dreamweaver's Sites panel.

hope it sheds some light.
-t

hangalot
10-05-2004, 12:47 PM
not mxi files, mxp files from the web. mxi files are used to build extensions (mxp)

wyclef
10-05-2004, 02:06 PM
I guess i'm just overwhelmed by all the resources out there, and not sure the best way to manage everything available in an organized manner. I suppose it's best to just deal with things on a project by project basis maybe.