PDA

View Full Version : Edge

Tink
10-10-2004, 05:27 PM
www.synovate.com/edge

still the odd thing to do to this but its up live. the content is all dynamic, so up to the client to sort out and add via a flash control panel for the site.

a lot of the site is only avialable to subscribers, but you should get the idea of whats going on. you can view all the postcards (click on the stamp) and there a couple of previews in 'LIFESTYLE' towardsthe bottom of the list.

be interested in any comments and thoughts

thanks

Gibberish
10-11-2004, 02:45 AM
nothing to exciting. The background starts to blur everything because it is so busy.

Tink
10-11-2004, 06:59 PM
thanks for taking a look

Timmee_3Styler
10-11-2004, 07:31 PM
I like it, but the bg is too dominating..i like the pageturn/flip effect :)

smoothhabitat
10-11-2004, 11:29 PM
very cool. i dig it. maybe take the background down a notch... make it gray or something.

williamon9
10-12-2004, 03:22 AM
what frame rate are you using???

its not playing smoothly on my eMac 700.

anyways, like the idea

Tink
10-12-2004, 12:13 PM
thanks for the comments guys

the frame rate is 31, but unfortunately due to the transitions being pretty processor intensive (they are scripted so that they come in from random direction everytime), and the flash player on the mac being pretty naff, i doubt it will run smooth on a mac unless you got a badboy.

Curly Brace
10-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Hmm... Looks modern and nice. Two things:
1. Looks like I've seen that idea somewhere (fbfx.com).
2. I've got problems with scroller (the curcor turns into 'deny' sign and I cant drag the slider).

snapple
10-13-2004, 03:27 PM
I really, really like this. I don't think the bg is too dominating at all, i think if you were to fade it out, then the foreground would look wrong. I like a Flash site (for once) that is big, chunky and bold. I agree the big page-flips can be a little sluggish (especially if another page flip is occurring simultaneously), but nothing noticeable to a 'average' user.

Is it me, or did anyone else have trouble scrolling the box on the fat left? I think it's fun to use and fun to look at. I also enjoyed the initial 'layout' animations of the smaller stickers or tabs, whatever they are. The vector style has also ensured quick loading times.

Regards, snapple :)

Tink
10-13-2004, 06:04 PM
:) cheers guysLooks like I've seen that idea somewhere (fbfx.com).yeah unfortunately for me fbfx was put live before i finished mine (was a bit gutted to see the same effect). its took me 2 months to complete, backend and all. took me 3 weeks to write the sticker engine alone (a load of trig stuff which i've never done too much of before), although i'm pretty sure fbfx does the same thing every time as if tweened, where as mine is totally random. i guess i'll use it elsewhere in the future. i also planning to extend the sticker class so that you can us it as the page flip, or grab clips and physically peel them off the stage with your mouse.I've got problems with scroller (the curcor turns into 'deny' sign and I cant drag the slider).Is it me, or did anyone else have trouble scrolling the box on the fat left?these 2 comments really concern me. you both mean the list boxes on the left hand side? does the scrollbar work ok on the main content (if you clip on the stamp, and then choose an item from the list). any chance of a screen grab?

thanks again

snapple
10-13-2004, 06:13 PM
For me, it's almost as if your using code along the lines of:

scrollInterval = setInterval(scrollMe, 1000);

function scrollMe ()
{
_root.myScrollPane_sp.refreshPane();
}

i.e. refreshing it too fast and having the effect of not alowing scrolling, i can kind of grab it, but it won't really let me, and it keeps on trying to resist, or put it back to the begining. I too get a "no entry" road sign with my cursor.

Regards, snapple

Tink
10-13-2004, 06:18 PM
what the hell is the no entry sign about?????

there is no scrollPane is a custom built scrollBar class along the lines ofprivate function actionsMc () {
thumb_mc.onRelease = thumb_mc.onReleaseOutside = function () {
delete this.onMouseMove;
}
thumb_mc.onPress = function () {
startPos = this._parent._ymouse - this._y;
this.onMouseMove = function () {
//do some math stuff
this._parent.updatePosMc();
}
}
}the same class is being used for the main 'poscards' content. i.e. clicking on a stamp and then selecting an article. does this scrollbar act in the same way (i.e. no work?).

Curly Brace
10-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Hay, Tink!
It's Firefox problem - works fine for me in IE, but don't works in my favorite FF

Curly Brace
10-13-2004, 06:19 PM
And more about it - I remember there was already thread about this problem.

Tink
10-13-2004, 06:21 PM
any links to the thread, or any ideas on how it can be solved. i really want it to work in firefox also, had a lot or problems with getting the stage to resize to the browser in firefox too, but sorted it, so it would be kewl if i could sort this too. do no Flash scrollbars work in Firefox at all?

***makes mental note
must download and install Firefox!

Curly Brace
10-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Here's the thread I mean (but no solution was found there):
http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=56360

Curly Brace
10-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Yes, all of your scrollbars not working

Tink
10-13-2004, 06:33 PM
bugger

very stange as this is a movieClip acting as button using onPress. all the other buttons throughout the site using the same methos but are obviously working fine?????

very confused??????

Curly Brace
10-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Hmm... Completly redone your script (that part you've posted here) - that part works fine in FF. Your problem is somewhere else

Tink
10-13-2004, 06:53 PM
hhhhmmm thanks curly

i'll do some testin and post any results here

Curly Brace
10-13-2004, 06:57 PM
I think if you'll find the clue you should tell that guy in 56360 thread

Tink
10-14-2004, 08:57 AM
this problem is caused buy the wmode being set to transparent<param name="wmode" value="transparent">i'm going to try building the BG in flash (although i have a feeling it could make it a lot more CPU intensive). The alternative would be to detect the browser and if its firefox, replace the scroller with one that has buttons top and bottom for scrolling the content i.e. no dragging. i still need to make the scrollTrack active, which would somat solve the problem, and enable u to scroll in firefox, but its still not ideal.

i'll post back here once i come to a decision. thanks for pointing this out, its something that i didn't notice at all.

tripleaxis
10-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Hey dude.. :) did some digging with a mate at work and found that your
problem is the fact that you're using WMODE=transparent in your HTML
when you embed your flash movie.
It's just not supported well enough in FireFox.

Now while removing this kills your background image, it also fixes the dragging/scrolling problem in FireFox.
You should, though, be able to create a tiling background in flash that adjusts to screen size using Stage.height, etc...

Bugger... just noticed your post, mate ;)

Tink
10-14-2004, 11:45 AM
thanks bud

elmer had a look into it last night and found the prob in the early hours of the morn.

fkiller
05-19-2005, 09:06 AM
FireFox support WMODE, but you should fix your <object> tag.
I wrote down this issue on http://hirihiri.com/blog/ . Check this~:)

Tink
05-20-2005, 08:48 AM
hey cheers Won

i solved the problem in the end by tiling the bg in flash, but this is useful to know for future projects.