PDA

View Full Version : setting flash frame when entering new page

onejames
10-16-2004, 02:32 AM
hi im a relative newb to scripting and was wondering if anyone new how to do this. i have a flash file that resides within multiple html files just sitting in the top table. Thing is i do not want the flash to replay after changing pages. Is there:
A. a way to set flash to open in a certain frame of the timeline upon entering a new html page.

B. Setting the html up to leave the top flash file static without using traditional frames.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie

Ruben
10-16-2004, 11:55 AM
<script language="javascript">
document.window.getElementById('íd_of_movie').setV ariable('goHere',5);
</script>
the keep checking for the variable like this:
if (_root.goHere != undefined){
gotoAndStop(_root.gohere);
}

:) - Ruben

onejames
10-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Thankyou Ruben

Ruben
10-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Thankyou Ruben

No problem, tell me whether or not it worked out

:) - Ruben

onejames
10-22-2004, 02:12 AM
Well i played with it for awhile and couldn't get it. I figured what i am trying to do must simpler so ill explain more. I have a flash file as the navigation bar up top and i call new html pages on the bottom, so the flash refreshes everytime i click a link. Is there a easier way to keep the flash file static while still changing the relevant html below. ive read into using css for this so im gonna try some article searches about it and see what i can find out.

pardon the ignorance and thanks again.
J.

Ruben
10-22-2004, 06:46 AM
....erm, why don't you use inline-frames (<iframe>)?

:confused: - Ruben

onejames
10-27-2004, 01:24 AM
Thanks again Ruben the Iframes worked perfectly for that problem, but opened up a few more now with the Iframe you can jump into a portion of the sight with out the top menu (parent frame page) showing up. I've also read that this may cause problems with search engines. Is there a way to have the page check to see if main page with the iframe tags has loaded before loading the child page that was requested?

Ruben
10-27-2004, 07:56 AM
pfff....that'd be javascript, I'm not that much of a hero with that...

Maybe you could send some variables from the main-page (using onload) to the child-page....dunno

- Ruben