PDA

View Full Version : Pre-loading

JonShado
10-04-2001, 06:37 PM
I am in the Multimedia field and have been working with Flash now for 6 months or so. I feel i am fairly experienced in most of the basics but just recently i finished a project for a client that was going to post the movie on her website. The project was .jpg intensive and it was necessary to compress all the images into rather low quality (they look ok, but not ideal of course). There are only a few points left in the piece (runs about 2:30 total.) that it lags while debugging for 56k and during actual online testing. I am curious if there is a way to preload images for a scene using an action script of some sort or some other way. Any information on optimization would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
===JonShado

Jesse
10-05-2001, 01:08 AM
If it streams pretty well for the msot part I'd preload half of it (see my preloader tutorial) and rely on the rest loading during run-time of the preloaded section... if that didn't sound too confusing :)

JonShado
10-05-2001, 01:53 AM
Thanks. the Tutorial rocked. I was a CS major in college, and am very happy to know that there is CODE surrounding Flash!! :) I built a very simple preloader from your tutorial and it worked like a charm. I debugged and found that i only needed to preload about 15% of the whole thing to get it to run smoothly. Thanks for all your help. If you would like to see it (though the client hasnt even seen it yet :) ) and comment please send me an email to [email protected] and i'll give you the address.

thanks again
===JonShado