PDA

View Full Version : What books should I get?

No1UKnow
11-25-2004, 01:44 AM
I am an advanced PHP & MySql programmer.

I'm also an advanced graphic artist, working with all Adobe and Macromedia tools...

My clients are now wanting extreme flash sites, with interactive forms, dynamic data and so forth... I do this all in PHP now, but they want all the data and forms to animated so that it is cool and user friendly type gui stuff.

I know basic flash animation...

I'm not up on all the lingo but I'm told I need a good book on AS2 & Flash MX.

I'm guessing components are form objects...

There are so many books out there, what would be the best books that fit my scenario?

skjc
11-25-2004, 10:44 AM
I can only tell you of the books and experience I have. I started using the authoring tool and AS for the first time in October this year and I have learned loads from the following two books so I would highly recommend them. In addition I knew nothing about OOP so it was a scratch start.

1. Macromedia Flash Advanced - visual Quickpro guide by Russell Chun with Joe Garraffo. I use it all the time and it is already very well thumbed.

2. ActionScript for Flash MX The Definitive Guide - Colin Moock. A must have bible of how the damned thing works.

In truth I actually reach for book no.1 before the definitive guide as it gives you step by step examples to follow, I then use book no.2 when I need more depth on the subject. It works for me.

In addition there are plenty of forums and tutorials but IMHO a good basic knowledge on how things fit together is essential before you start on the forums otherwise its like joining a class half-way through.

good luck.

farafiro
11-25-2004, 11:49 AM
No1UKnow
welcome to the forums

u may also search for Books in the forums or see our Review section to get more info

coolioman
12-22-2004, 03:06 PM
there is this cool book out there called "flash mx 2004, graphics, animation, and interactivity" by thomson delmar

i heard that delmar guy is going on to being the best programmer in the world, or somthin like that. he probably has more advanced books that u would like
check out his site at delmarlearning.com (http://www.delmarlearning.com)

No1UKnow
02-10-2007, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the Welcome and all the replies...

Ready to go shopping, can't wait to get started....

farafiro
02-11-2007, 03:27 AM
wow
more than two years to reply
I wonder how long it would take to read the books
:p joking :p

No1UKnow
02-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Yeah no doubt, and I got a lot of books and now realize I have to learn components as well... fun stuff...

I'm thinking of paying someone to walk me through a project...

My first task to learn how to arch text over a logo using a slider...
ellipse shape to perfectly round shape...
Sounds easy, but it has me stuck...

I noticed I could buy a component online, but it only does the perfect round shape...