PDA

View Full Version : slow running on the MAC

liubin
01-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone, I made some flash on the PC, and I am using FlashMX, it runs okay on the pc, but it runs very slow on the mac, could anybody tell me what is the reason of it and the way to sort it out, many thanks!
this is the URL:
http://www.health.herts.ac.uk/cpd/multimedia/e-learning/e-learning.htm

Billy T
01-17-2005, 01:34 PM
mac flash player is crap

try removing alpha fades - they slow everything down

also, if a clip has its alpha at 0, set its _visible to false until it is needed to be shown again - this will actually help a lot

liubin
01-17-2005, 02:56 PM
mac flash player is crap

try removing alpha fades - they slow everything down

also, if a clip has its alpha at 0, set its _visible to false until it is needed to be shown again - this will actually help a lot
Cheers Billy, in fact your saying is same as my friend's, he talked about the alpha value as well, anyway, thanks for your reply and it will be very helpful.
:)

petefs
01-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Luckily this has been addressed for Flash Player 8 -- but for now, best to optimize ^_^

Billy T
01-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Luckily this has been addressed for Flash Player 8

they say that every release...I hope you're right though.

petefs
01-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Have you seen the original 8ball demo movie shot by colin moock? They were showing it off on a Mac specifically to show the performance gains. Even if the PC player is better, that thing was hauling. I don't think it will be an issue, they were playing high-res video with alpha, complex particle systems, and some torture-tests that would floor the fastest PC : ) A big part of it is the bitmap caching, but I think they really improved the mac performance for real this time : )

Billy T
01-17-2005, 09:40 PM
yep saw that vid and noticed the demo was on a mac

*crosses fingers*