PDA

View Full Version : Using Components in externally loaded swfs?!

eight
01-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi guys!

Question, is there a way to have 2 swfs...

a main.swf & a ext.swf

in the main.swf i have some components like a radio button, and i would like to load ext.swf into main.swf is it possible for ext.swf to use the components like the radio button on the newly loaded movie? I would like to keep an ovarall look to all of them and wouldnt want to have the end user re-download all of the components...

Any suggestions?

huxflux
01-30-2005, 07:48 PM
you could create a radiobutton.swf and load it into both of the movies.

eight
01-30-2005, 08:04 PM
yes but then will it load the radiobutton.swf each time its needed by the movie?

huxflux
01-30-2005, 11:22 PM
yes. but by the second view it's gonna be on the user's harddrive, so the user won't have to download it again.

eight
01-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Ok so then the problem i have been having is trying to get the loaded ext.swf to load up a component.... if it's in the the main libary or if i load it from another swf, for some reason it's just not loading, using an attachMovie.

I'm using this:

loadMovie("news.swf", "pageCan");
pageCan.caN.attachMovie("FDropDownListSymbol", "myDrp",25);

as a function in the main timeline being activated by the news.swf when it loads.

and also

loadMovie("news.swf", "pageCan");
pageCan.attachMovie("FDropDownListSymbol", "myDrp",25);

i have also tried this on the ext movie:

Canvas.attachMovie("_root.FDropDownListSymbol", "myDrp",25);

any idea on how to make these components work? I have used all types from combobox, to radiobuttons, to downloaded components.

huxflux
01-31-2005, 03:20 AM
im sorry but i'm way too tired to answer your question now, but this should help. the key is that you can only call the function AFTER the movie has initialized.
http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=63866

eight
01-31-2005, 03:29 AM
Hey man... I'll check it out, I think i have found a way to do what i want. Thank you for all the help so far!

I'll let you know what happeneds, I usually do alot of work during the night so ill have something posted for you in the morning...

goodnight!

huxflux
01-31-2005, 03:32 AM
yeah, i'll be around for a while too. if you want you can send your fla to me