PDA

View Full Version : Simulating flow through a tube.

bj8341
11-08-2001, 02:23 PM
I have tried to create a simulation of a gas flowing through a pipe but nothing looks realistic. Any suggestions as to how to accomplish this would be appreciated.:confused:

poab
11-09-2001, 02:27 PM
Hi,

Smoke, gas, clouds etc. are all a nightmare. You could go the way of scientists and enlarge the molecules large enough to see so you've got more of a diagram. It can actually look O.K. if done well. But you're probably better to go the programming route.

Make a list of the characteristics of the gas (light green colour, transparent etc.) Then produce a Mc that will reproduce itself, and obey these rules. Two or three almost totally transparent shapes, moving independently and superimposed on top of each other will give the impression of the chaos theory style of movement much better than one repeating animation.

You can make the movement random, with certain constraints, and to keep the file size down put all the random movement, random transparency etc inside the MC, as well as making it duplicate itself. I did this once with amoeba in a petri dish and the one thing I would say is to limit how many times it can duplicate because otherwise the computer's making too many calculations and it won't have the RAM to deal with it.

Be really subtle.

cheers

wenbri
11-12-2001, 04:39 AM
I may have done something close to what you're looking for, or at least enough to head you in the right direction. I made "transparent" buttons on our homepage that fill up with water when you mouse over. I'll try to explain as simply as I can how I got the effect.

Think of a solid square, only instead of a stright line for the top, I used a freehand curve. (you would probably just want to freehand an amorphous shape for gas). I made a MC with this and keyframed it out several frames. In each keyframe I had the top curve different, then just used shape tweens between them (and I had to rely heavily on shape hints so that only the top tweened, again, probably not a problem for you if you're tweening the whole thing). I combined this with some masking and simple movement of the "water" MC and it worked pretty well. If you set your alpha near transparent, and use two or three separate MC's as poab suggested I think you'll get what you're looking for.

the link to the buttons is www.beachredmonds.com/main.html