PDA

View Full Version : Is Harry Potter Evil?

20 Ton Squirrel
11-16-2001, 01:56 PM
I was listening to my talk radio on the drive into the Cubefarm today and this was the topic of discussion. As you can imagine, there were some hilarious calls on the matter.

So, Harry Potter the movie opens up today. How many of you give a crap? Is this whole phenomenon evil? Do the books subvert the readers to the evil practice of witchcraft?

(really the reason I'm posting is I haven't used the poll yet, I've been dying to find an excuse)

Josh
11-16-2001, 02:07 PM
I vote DEVIL, that kid freaks me out! haha I guess I should probably read the book and/or see the movie though before I make any assumptions.

Josh Dura

20 Ton Squirrel
11-16-2001, 02:39 PM
I have a six year old boy who I tend to steer away from fads. He was able to watch his Power Rangers when they were big, the Pokemon while they had the spotlight... but I never rushed out and broke the bank trying to "catch 'em all" for him.

Doubtless, this Harry Potter phenomenon is no different than any other fad. Heck, back in my day it was G.I. Joe and Transformers (still is). But this fad in particular has caught a bad rap because of the underlying occult theme.

My beef is all these pseudo-fellow right-wingers of mine that cry SATANISM before they really understand what it's all about. They say "What will kids get from watching that movie? Their imagination will run wild, they'll get the wrong idea!"

Well, if that's the case then you better not take your kid to see Peter Pan... now THERE's a flight of fancy (literally). What morals will you kid walk away with after watching that?

I've always believed that things in our lives only have the power that you give them. It's entertainment, for the love of whatever. If you treat it as that and ONLY that, what's the harm?

Witchcraft and Satanism... another beef of mine... My wife is Wiccan and so is her half of the family. It galls me every time I hear people scream SATANISM in relation to witchcraft. There's no correlation in the slightest... beyond the close-minded thought that anything not Christian is SATANISM. Damn those Buddhists!!!

Just a few more tidbits to gnaw on.

I am reading my son the first book in the series, we're about half-way through it. We'll probably go see the movie when the crowds die down... heck, we might wait for the video release. Whatever the case, we're treating it as it was meant to be - as a source of entertainment.

vilehelm
11-16-2001, 03:24 PM
This is gonna blow my image but I've read the books and they weren't bad. They're not gonna be studied hundereds of years from now but they're not bad and they've bucked the notion that kids these days don't like to read because there's too much competition from video games, tv etc etc. They're is just not much smart entertaining stuff geared in that specific way.

I read them after Berni Wrightson (the guy who dreamed up the original SwampThing comicbook) said how much he enjoyed them. Comic books are certainly no longer geared for kids, maybe because of Wrightson and Adams et. al.

Argggh another meeting to go to. See ya'll monday...

20 Ton Squirrel
11-16-2001, 03:30 PM
I was expecting a differing opinion from you, Vile, I'm surprised. Your taste in comics rules... SWAMP THAAAAANG!

Having read much of the first book I have to agree. I haven't seen my son sit long enough to blink for anything BUT this book. It's kinda neat. It's gotten him more interested in reading, so that's my main motivation here...

vilehelm
11-17-2001, 03:05 AM
Yeah, I actually saw Wrightson at a convention that i got a free pass to. I went with the intention of meeting Walt Simonson (Thor was my favorite comic growing up). It was a big geek fest but fun.

I'm looking more forward to The Lord of the Rings, there'll be some mighty fine geeking out then!

Jesse
11-17-2001, 03:38 AM
I hear the game's v good. I might get it for my sister for Xmas :) (and play it a bit myself :)

wangbar
11-17-2001, 09:35 AM
<rant>

I've never read them myself which is starting to make life hard because every idiot DJ, newscaster and talk show assumes that I have and is talking in Harry Potter-ese to prove how down-with-the-kids they are...

What the %$& is a "muggle" anyway?

</rant>

Weird but true: just found out from a TV documentery on the author's life that I lived next door to her twelve years ago...

20 Ton Squirrel
11-17-2001, 12:23 PM
Wow, isn't life full of ironic little surprises?

Oh, and a muggle is a 'normal' person.

Short response cuz it's the FREAK'N WEEKEND!!!

Rupert
11-19-2001, 05:54 AM
It may be a fad, but if it gets kids reading then it can't be that bad. I wouldn't mind being on the receiving end of the royalties for that movie! I too finally gave in to my daughter insisting that I read the first book and I thought it was great. No more Mills and Boon for me! er...<deep voice>... I mean er...Guns and Ammo</deep voice> Cheers,
Rupert

Dlady
11-19-2001, 06:40 AM
I must be honest haven't read the book yet. But you always have all this stuff. I mean remember the whole Noddy thing. That was and still is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I remember growing up on Noddy, and at no time did I ever thing it was racist, or that anyone was gay. I was 5. I didn't care, took the stories how they were meant to be taken. And so do most normal kids.
I would rather have my kids reading Harry Potter, Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, CS Lewis, The Hobbit than watching the News.

I mean do we really want to go into Brothers Grimm? The original stories are scary. Nevemind Cartoons. I'm not even talking about the modern ones. Tom & Jerry are really violent and lets not forget The roadrunner and poor old Wiley Coyote. Full of violence.

But then my boyfriend and I are bad role models already, not only do we play Magic cards (Magic the Gathering) we also play D&D. I mean how satanistic is that. Gees the first movie we saw together was D&D.

Ok seriously for a minute, its up to the parents to teach their kids what to takes seriously and what not to. But anything that gets kids reading again is a good thing. But as 20 Ton Squirrel said people yell satanistic without understanding what is actually going on.

No matter what happens there will always be someone who takes it too seriously.

But who cares about Harry Potter, one month to go till Lord of The Rings starts. Wooohooooo.

20 Ton Squirrel
11-19-2001, 02:30 PM
Werd and props out to DLady. Potter may be cool and all, but Tolkein is where it's at.

I got into the CCG scene briefly, back in the days when Magic only had one expansion out. Heheh... all those Moxes are still worth oodles! And since they slightly resemble Tarot and some cards depict scenes of demonic entities, the game is OF SATAN!!! MUAAAAA! Actually, that Young Jedi CCG is evil just because it sucks so bad. *chuckle*

I'm a RPG'er myself, though I haven't touched D&D in a coon's age. Can't stand that THAC0 system! A SUIT OF PLATEMAIL DOES NOT MAKE YOU HARDER TO HIT! *ahem* Anyhoo, I'm more into the Hero system... Fantasy Hero is very coolie. Basing my own world/system after it. I'll take a stab here, DLady... you do any MUDing?

Sounds like yer yet-to-see-daylight-kid is in good hands... a good parent stays involved with their kids. Too many of my generation expect everyone else to owe them something - including an easy way out when it comes to child rearing.

Just out of curiousity, when are you expecting? You know if the kid's a boy or girl yet?

red penguin
11-19-2001, 04:12 PM
I haven't read the books, in English that is, either and glory be to vile out there for admitting to that...I have, however, begun reading them in my second language as they are geared towards a younger audience and all so I figure it can't be too difficult in my second language...so far so good.....

But I am sidetracked by Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippen, Strider, et all...now that I can't wait for...

So...I re-iterate....

Harry who?

But you know what? In the end I'll go and see the damned thing anyway!

oh yeah, just a passing thought...what is it with the French and Jerry Lewis?

Dlady
11-20-2001, 10:06 AM
Can't say I've done any MUDing.
We don't know what the kid is yet. Can't wait to found out though. My boyfriend is hoping for a boy, the toys for boys are just so much cooler than for girls. :cool:
But then I remember having a trainset when I was a kid. Funny I don't remember me playing with it as much as my father did. Boys will be boys no matter how old they get.

If I remember correctly there were even people out there saying that the Teletubbies were evil. Annoying yes, evil I somewhat doubt it. Barney on the otherhand....;)

JV
11-23-2001, 03:26 PM
I really liked your poll.

Ok, ok. You got me. I'm just testing otu my new sig.

JV :)

JV
11-23-2001, 03:28 PM
Jesus! Jesse sure does post a lot.

JV :)

20 Ton Squirrel
11-23-2001, 10:02 PM
No problem on the shameless plug, JV... just as long as there's no denial going on.

Yes, Jesse's the post-king. Its a choice of studying for an exam or posting... and you can see what he choses most o' the time! HA!

mrfluffy
11-30-2001, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by 20 Ton Squirrel
My beef is all these pseudo-fellow right-wingers of mine that cry SATANISM before they really understand what it's all about. They say "What will kids get from watching that movie? Their imagination will run wild, they'll get the wrong idea!"

Well, if that's the case then you better not take your kid to see Peter Pan... now THERE's a flight of fancy (literally). What morals will you kid walk away with after watching that?

It's parents like that who tell there kids there is a santa, lying to your kids is gonna have a bigger effect (i am still legally a kid, just out of interest am i the youngest on the forum (17)), not some crappy film.

20 Ton Squirrel
11-30-2001, 08:19 PM
Hey man, Santa was a part of my life growing up... like the Easter Bunny. Those kind of things are institutions of culture that have been ingrained for generations. I'm a parent of a six-year old and I perpetuate the legend of Santa... granted, I don't shove it down his throat or lord it over him in hopes that he'll be good, but still!

Oy... this opens up a whole can of cashews, don't it? I foresee another thread entitled, "Should we tell our children Santa exists?"

Hrmmm... I believe that stuff like Santa and his ilk are cultural pseudo-religions. Finding out there isn't a tangible Santa is like a right of passage where a child must learn what Christmas is really about - giving, caring, loving, etc.

Now, grasshopper... take the candycane from my hand.

vilehelm
12-01-2001, 04:16 AM
So Santa is kinda like Jesus with training wheels...sorry I've been at the bar all night. It was the Guiness world wide toast tomight.

edit - well. maybe i misread that last message but it seemed that when you said pseudo religion i thought of Santa as a very simple uncomplicated diety. Not quite all the complexities involved as with a "bonafide" religion. just wanted to clarify. i get your point.

edit - maybe you should change the moniker to 20 ton footer:D

pixelwit
12-01-2001, 01:01 PM
Did somebody say "Religion"?

Now there's a topic I can flap my gums about.

But for the sake of the forum, I'll refrain.

You're welcome,

:-)

-PiXELWiT
http://www.pixelwit.com

20 Ton Squirrel
12-01-2001, 06:42 PM
Jehova's Witness, Pixel? *grin*

Glad you got involved in that Guiness toast, Vile. I fancied you would. Hope ya tipped one back for the ole' 20 Tonner... since I don't drink, after all.

Yeah... my banner is kinda big, ain't it? I should take it down a bit when I have more time.

pixelwit
12-01-2001, 07:30 PM
Now that's funny. I used to work with a flock/herd/gaggle of Jehovah Witnesses. Good people and all, I mean at least they believed in the Bible enough to try to convert Satan himself (me) to the "bright side", but still the whole Christianity thing is just a bit too ummm... let's just say "unbelievable"

If you know any Witnesses, send them here:
http://www.christianburner.com/testimonials.html#hank

If you know some Christians try suggesting this site:
http://members.aol.com/ckbloomfld/

Okay, now I'm shutting up.

-PiXELWiT
http://www.pixelwit.com

vilehelm
12-02-2001, 04:12 AM
I like the footer...it's very very funny. Does it work off some external text source?

Actually I don't like Guiness all that much but I drank enough Paulaner to float a battleship. Felt pretty good this morning too. I quit smoking 4 months ago and that has really taken the edge off hangovers. It's been a hellish week and i felt like taking it up again but i made it through.

20 Ton Squirrel
12-02-2001, 02:55 PM
I was originally gonna have the footer/banner pull in quotes from an external text file, but decided against it for two reasons:

1) this is supposed to be a simple banner
2) the quotes were too long to display... if you took your eyes off it for a moment you'd miss the first half.

So I just settled for a few strings in an array chosen at random. I think there are like... ummm... five or six of 'em. I might change it up later to show line-by-line scrolling up. That way I can do lyrics and quotes without worrying on length.

Any critique on the thang is cool, though - even bad stuff. I'm a big squirrel, I can take it!