PDA

View Full Version : how can i do this... with attachMovie?

wizzackr
03-25-2005, 09:57 PM
ok, i fiddled around with flash a while ago: i had a basic 'container' movie, into which i loaded a couple of other clips - replacing an empty placeholder. the problem with this approach was, that the entire container movie *plus* all movies loaded into the scene via loadMovie had to load up until the movie was displayed in the browser. it wasn't much of an issue back then, but for my next project i want to load lots of data (big pictures) into the scene. that would result in terrible load-times for the entire movie, and then none whatsoever, if i remember correctly.

so what i want is flash to just load the container movie really quick (just a couple of buttons, text and one image for example), and then load large movies into the scene when buttons are pressed, each having its own loading time (and preloader). how do i do this? what command would i use to have flash load the navigation with all the buttons, and *then* - when i click on one - have it load an external movie with it's own preloader?
would be great if any of you pros could give me advice, thanks in advance,
j

Ricod
03-26-2005, 09:37 PM
External movies aren't loaded until requested, so if you make your interface in a seperate swf, only this is loaded. You can then either put a preloader in each of the swfs you're going to load in (which you may want if you want a different one for each new swf) or, if you want a more uniform look, you can use the same preloader for each of them. We have a tutorial on that written by Jesse : http://www.actionscript.org/tutorials/intermediate/multi_preloader/index.shtml

rippazinc
03-27-2005, 12:50 PM
check out this website: EVERY SINGLE THING is done using external movieclips...the size of the main SWF is only2 KB

http://www.gamechek.tk

Each button, each paragraph, and each text input is a seperate SWF...this cuts down loading time, but you get a little lag depending on your server.

I can send you the FLAs if you want, and a tutorial on how everything is done. Just PM me or email me