PDA

View Full Version : comm server noob questions

andehlu
04-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Hello all,

I got a new job this week and the new company does alot of flash video streaming. I havent done alot of flash flv streaming but I have some basic questions.

1) Have any of you ever used flash communication server? Does this improve the stream of flv video? Because I know you dont require communication server to stream flv.

2) Do any of you have any suggestion for making the smallest/clearest flv available? Right now The company is exporting flv directly from Final Cut Pro. I suggested using Sorenson Squeeze from a quicktime file then making the flv...we havent tested it to see if its smaller yet...but if youve found a good way, let me know....

Thanks.

mrand01
04-12-2005, 03:18 PM
FCS streaming is MUCH faster/better than using progressive download...FCS licenses however, are far from cheap. It really depends on how much you'll be using it. It's worth the money if you can justify the cost.

I don't know much about video compression, but I know we use Squeeze 4 here.

andehlu
04-12-2005, 04:14 PM
mrand01 thanks for the info...i was sure squeeze was the way to go....any ballpark ideas on license costs with FCS?

mrand01
04-12-2005, 05:03 PM
FCS's licensing is pretty terrible in my opinion. A personal license costs $500, which only gives you 1mb of streaming bandwidth (not per client, but total). This (obviously) is not enough for any production site. The next step up is the professional edition. I'm pretty sure Macromedia charges $4500 for this, and it will give you 10mb of streaming bandwidth (still not enough for some people). The next step up from that is the unlimited license, which for $7500 will give you unlimited bandwidth...for 90 days. This doesn't make sense for a lot of people...you'd really need to justify that cost with how much money you'd be making on your application. If you have a business acct with CDW, Dell (or any macromedia reseller), they can usually get you a better deal on professional license (not a huge difference, maybe like $3800?). Anyway, lets hope when FCS 2 comes out, the licensing scheme will be "normal." If you need any more FCS help, check out the ChattyFig mailing list for FlashComm...it's definitely the best resource for FlashComm development.

andehlu
04-12-2005, 05:58 PM
thanks again ..... wow, thats completely lame... when you say 10MB of streaming bandwidth, you mean in terms of a pipe right NOT 10mb download...? Are there alternatives to FCS?

mrand01
04-12-2005, 06:29 PM
That 10mb is good for all connections to your server. So if you have 100 users, each user can use 100k for streaming (approx). I find this pretty lame...you have to pay $45 for each user connecting to your server...and no, there are no alternatives to FCS if you need streaming video as macromedia has a patent on the RTMP protocol.

andehlu
04-13-2005, 02:17 AM
what do u mean by you have to pay 45$ for each user? i dont quite get that part....

mrand01
04-13-2005, 01:54 PM
if you have each user subscribed to a 100k stream, and you have a 10mb limit, you can fit 100 users in that space. That comes out to $45/user if the license pack is $4500