PDA

View Full Version : gradients in flash 5

five1686644
12-03-2001, 04:27 AM
I can't for the life of me figure out something which seems incredibly easy (based on popularity) - how do you get a color-transparent gradient? For example, how do you get a black to transparent gradient in Flash? Also, how do you change the colors of the shape gradients?

Billy T
12-03-2001, 04:47 AM
thats an interesting name - did you pass out on the keyboard as you were making your account? hehehe

you manipulate the gradient in the fill panel

not sure if flash can do transparency in grandients...might have to do it in photoshop...

cheers

five1686644
12-04-2001, 04:14 AM
how do you do that?

:D :confused: :( :confused: :D

Rupert
12-04-2001, 05:23 AM
This is one way...
1. Select your object (double click it to make sure it is not grouped or anything)
2. Open the Fill panel and select Linear or Radial. I'll select Linear for our example today.
3. Select the colour (oops sorry that should be color) square on the right and set it to black.
4. Select the color square on the left and set it to white.
5. open the Mixer panel and just change the alpha value to 0%
6. Kick back and enjoy the view!!

Like other vector drawing programs you can click below the gradient colour bar in the Fill panel to add multiple steps of different colours to your gradient. Go nuts!

Cheers,

Rupert

Billy T
12-04-2001, 06:09 AM
oh yeah....

cool :D

five1686644
12-06-2001, 12:13 AM
But of course!!! The alpha!! duh!

A hint of british are we? (colour)

Billy T
12-06-2001, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by five1686644

A hint of british are we? (colour)

well that's a nice way to insult someone that just helped you out hehehe:D

tg
12-06-2001, 02:52 AM
hey wow, i didn't know you could apply an alpha to a gradient like that.

Rupert
12-06-2001, 03:10 AM
It is worth remebering once you get all these funky alpha gradients happening, that animating things behind them can get very processor heavy.
Used with some discretion they can create great looking things!

five1686644
12-06-2001, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Billy T

well that's a nice way to insult someone that just helped you out hehehe:D

no no no no !!!

i just noticed it. not many people catch the british spellings (colour, favourite, etc.) i just noticed it and was surprised. come to think of it i have never seen anyone type the 'ou' in colour except me.

I didn't mean to offend and if I did so, I apologize. It was merely an observation.

Rupert
12-06-2001, 04:22 AM
No offence taken!
Working here in sunny downtown Melbourne (work with me here Jesse and BillyT), we are constantly having to think of who our audience is. Do they use US English, Spanglish, UK English or Aus English! Sometimes CD products (especially educational ones) we work on have to be re-released just cause someone wants a "U" in color or a "Z" instead of an "S" in something else.

What was that universal language they tried to get off the ground in the 70's? I forget, maybe we should all just speak ActionScript....

Billy T
12-06-2001, 05:15 AM
I didn't really think you would be offended:p

Anyway, time to go wrestle some crododiles in the beautiful Melbourne sunshine....

:rolleyes: