PDA

View Full Version : Launching a new SWF from original SWF in a new window

Anti-Em
12-03-2001, 06:54 PM
Righto, this question is likely very obviously the product of a non-programming brain...but here it is:

I am building a little demo-CD of my flash animations. (I'm currently using Flash 5 on a PC with Windows 2000)

What I ideally want to do is build a small "introduction" SWF file that can be used to launch the other SWF files on the CD IN A NEW WINDOW.

I can get the movies to load into the existing, "controler" window using the load movie command...but I'm really looking for a way to get flash to launch a brand new movie...is there a way to do this?

Thank you all.

--Anti-em

Billy T
12-03-2001, 10:37 PM
I think you will have to open them in a popup window which will use the default browser on the computer on which the cd is played....

your question was a little confusing - are you make an projecter to burn to the cd?

Anti-Em
12-03-2001, 11:37 PM
Howdy!
Thanks for the reply (: ...sorry if my question was a trifle confusing...as I say, I am an actionscripting ignoramus.

I know that if I publish my movie as a Windows Projector file (.exe) I can use the FS Command "exec" to allow the projector file to launch other projector files (and other programs, presumably).

What I'm looking for is a command that will allow me to do exactly what the FS Command "exec" does, but for SWF files instead of EXE files.

(I want to stick to using SWF files simply because they are a cross-platform format...and most of the folks I'd be sending this CD-Rom type thingy will have the Flash 5 player loaded on their machines)

I would like to avoid using browsers, if possible, since these files are just going to be locally launched... no need to connect to the infobahn.

Hopefully I've made my question a little more clear? Maybe?

Thanks again...

Anti-Em

Billy T
12-03-2001, 11:43 PM
you can load the local files in your browser without connecting to the web....

If you know someone with a mac you could burn a hybrid cd with a mac projector and a pc projecter...all the extra swfs would be shared by the 2.

cheers

The Master
12-04-2001, 11:16 PM
Only for the PC platform you can use.. command line calls or 3rd party tools to open files in there default applictions.. now the trick to .swf files is there player is flashpla.exe (located in the Flash directory)

And for flashpla.exe to be registered as the default application.. you need to open it only once..

One trick you could play would be with my tools.. place flashpla.exe on the cdrom.. issue a FsCommand Exec command and then use ftoolkill to instantly close the program (in this way would the place where flashpla.exe being stored be now associated with .swf files)

Then you could use command line calls, like those outlined on this tutorial here on my site.. (I've seen similuar tutorials here at actionscript too)
http://flashtools.net/tutorials/ftoolapp_alternative_methods.htm

Or 3rd party tools like mine or flashjesters or northcodes to open the default file in it's application..