PDA

View Full Version : My personal website

kamran_pro
05-15-2005, 04:26 PM
I was sent to these forums by my friend brendanww to share the design of my personal website (http://www.ultimation.tk). Please tell me what do you think of it.

Echo419
05-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Yo man post ur direct link .tk never works

-echo
www.attackingecho.com

kamran_pro
05-15-2005, 05:01 PM
It never works when ads are turned on in it so I turned them off. It should work. Anyway here's the direct link (http://home.ripway.com/2005-5/304731/index.html)

Echo419
05-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Hmm.... Kinda lost, I found no flash on that page?

The layout is "okay" at best :( its just a nifty picture with some text on either side... Atleast put some rolloevers on those links. Good luck

-echo
www.attackingecho.com

kamran_pro
05-15-2005, 05:56 PM
That's an XHTML website and you can't have many itsy-bitsy eye candies in XHTML without Flash. I didn't need Flash so I didn't use it. I'm sorry if I'd been in wrong forum because of no Flash.

Echo419
05-15-2005, 06:00 PM
oo hmm... Well actionscript is the coding language used in Flash (hence the name actionscript.org), so its more of a flash site... Hmm I like how you have the html text box in the middle, it is at all possible to change the color of your scroll bars? I believe you can, also look into seeing if u can change ur text box background to a more flowing color to match your site, maybe a slate gray or blue?

-echo
www.attackingecho.com

kamran_pro
05-15-2005, 06:17 PM
The textbox does have a background image. Maybe you didn't see it.
Thanks for the tips. I didn't use scrollbar colors as I don't like IE specific tricks. I'd consider using it via @import style sheet though.
I know about ActionScript :rolleyes: I just thought we can showcase our XHTML designs like in Flash-kit forums.

Ruben
05-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah sure you can show your website here (don't know if everybody on the boards would agree with me on that one though), flash or no flash...

Regarding what you said about not needing flash thus not using it; I partually agree with you on that since I think unnecessarily using anything can eventually become quite irritating. Though quite often people create a portfolio for themselves for the sake of getting jobs, in order to get somebody to hire you they'll have to be convinced that you're good, and that's what your portfolio-site should do; convince an employer you're good at what you do.

...and that's exactly (in a nutshell) why alot of people tend to use Flash in their websites...

:rolleyes: - Ruben

kamran_pro
05-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Truly said Ruben. I fully agree with you one that. However, the thing is that if you'd read About Me, you'd know that I'm only 16 years old so I don't need any job kinda thing now. I just created it outta boredom. But when I'll be in need of a job I'll keep in mind your advice ;)

XHTML is also cool, and it's the best choice if not using Flash. Many large websites consider XHTML as they can't consider Flash to be economic for very large websites (like there is still not a popular forum script for Flash). Thus I wanted to try out a design that's not meant to be for XHTML. XHTML is more suited for pages spread over screen and largely scrollable. I tried many ways for that centered text-box like iframes etc. but found DIV overlays to be more suitable.

BTW, I am a Flash Developer since Flash 5 :) Just never visited ActionScript forums.

Ruben
05-16-2005, 02:37 PM
BTW, I am a Flash Developer since Flash 5 :) Just never visited ActionScript forums.I've also been around since flash5, I'm 17yrs old at the moment.

You're right about what you said considering xhtml, the only disadvantage (well wouldn't really call it that but that was the best that popped up) is that browsers at the moment don't really read xhtml as strict as it was meant to be.
For instance, there are certain rules you can ignore (which makes the w3 xhtml-validator say your site isn't valid) and at the same time have browsers display your page correct...

As for large companies not using flash, well yeah, for instance the macromedia-site. But hey, nobody ever said you should use flash for every website you make ;) (well as far as I know :p)
Though I do think you could use the advantages of flash even without making an all-flash site...

:) - Ruben

Cota
05-17-2005, 04:34 AM
You might be suprised how many companies use "invisible flash". Basically to extend the functionality of smaller business sites. Or to simply provide audio quickly and quietly. Hundreds more uses for it...

P.S. Ruben is weird :D

kamran_pro
05-17-2005, 06:28 AM
Yeah, this I agree with that we can/should use Flash for extending capbilities without making an all Flash site. Perhaps I'd use Flash in the next design because my favorite oxymoron is constant change ;)

SirNapalm
05-17-2005, 07:51 AM
I agree with Cota!

Hi by the way :D

I am sure flash will be used more often and also for large scale sites. It is after all the best 'tool' for design AND functionality. I might be wrong but flash is the future of the web......think about the compatibility issues of other techniques. Every browser displays the code a little different and to write solid CSS cross platform and cross browser compatible is more of a hackers job than a designers job.

Therefore use Flash whenever you can.

Ah yes there is the odd one out there that sais "People will need the Flash Plugin and many won't see the site...." Bull****! Not sure if I'm allowed here.... :D :D as of today Macromedia states that 97% of webusers can see flash. It's even on W3!

Again might be wrong.... :rolleyes:

Ruben
05-17-2005, 08:09 AM
P.S. Ruben is weird :DWhat did I do?? :confused:

[...] Every browser displays the code a little different and to write solid CSS cross platform and cross browser compatible is more of a hackers job than a designers job.

Therefore use Flash whenever you can.With that I'll have to disagree, alright, every browser will display your code slightly different, but it's not that bad that becoming a semi-hacker will be your only escape to cross-browser compatible websites...
If that's what you think you might wanna take another w3schools-tute on xhtml or whatever...
"Use Flash whenever you can" also sounds like a really terrible advice...for instance when you're building a forum, maybe you'd be better off doing that with xhtml (serverside generated xhtml of course ;)) then with flash, for the sake of bookmarking for one thing (sure you could localsharedobject for that but I'd still prefer having my bookmarks in my bookmarks-folder).

- Ruben

PS. And about the 97%, that's great news!

Cota
05-18-2005, 03:14 AM
I was just messing with you Ruben...nothing but love

Ruben
05-18-2005, 05:09 PM
I was just messing with you Ruben...nothing but loveAhh stop it, I think I'm gonna be sick...

:eek: - Ruben

PS. Just joking :p

kamran_pro
05-19-2005, 12:06 AM
I agree with Cota!

Hi by the way :D

I am sure flash will be used more often and also for large scale sites. It is after all the best 'tool' for design AND functionality. I might be wrong but flash is the future of the web......think about the compatibility issues of other techniques. Every browser displays the code a little different and to write solid CSS cross platform and cross browser compatible is more of a hackers job than a designers job.

Therefore use Flash whenever you can.

Ah yes there is the odd one out there that sais "People will need the Flash Plugin and many won't see the site...." Bull****! Not sure if I'm allowed here.... :D :D as of today Macromedia states that 97% of webusers can see flash. It's even on W3!

Again might be wrong.... :rolleyes:

Flash is cool but its not ready for all out web in it. Specially big websites which include forums etc. As for Macromedia stating that 97% of webusers have Flash, they didn't say 97% of them have Flash 7. Many of them include Flash 6 and even 5. So designing a big server side application which'd use Flash would be destructive for both economy and stability of a company's website.

Ruben
05-19-2005, 09:18 AM
...they didn't say 97% of them have Flash 7. Many of them include Flash 6 and even 5. So designing a big server side application which'd use Flash would be destructive for both economy and stability of a company's website.It doesn't (necessarily) mean that almost any big company'd go bankrupt or whatever if they'd have their website build in flash...that's bull (in my opinion)...
However it does put a whole new perspective to the story...

- Ruben

PS. Come to think of it, I don't think it'd mean that much that some of the users would have an older version of the flash-player on their system..
I mean, don't you think most of the users would just hit the button that says "UPDATE" when they'd be notified that their player's needs to be updated to a more recent version...? (seeing that most people would probably experience flash as a positive thing to have installed)

Cota
05-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Ruben is right, think about this. How many users go to a website that asks you to install something, and without even reading it, most people click ok. I honestly dont think if a company made an entire site in flash 7 that they would lose a dime. You have to remember, most users, or at least a very large portion of users, are still, please excuse the term, "dumb". They have no idea what they're clicking on, nor do they care most of the time.