PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Rules Opinions

Jesse
12-08-2001, 01:30 AM
So we've added some 'rules' or 'guidelines' to the forums now, by popular request. We believe they will assist those people who are not familiar with the etiquette of posting online to fit right in. What do you think?

Josh
12-08-2001, 01:54 AM
Great work Jesse. Hopefully this will keep the number of "crap" posts down.

Josh Dura

20 Ton Squirrel
12-08-2001, 02:35 AM
Rest assured, as your new lord and master, I shall devote my very essence to upholding and enforcing the rules upon my fifedom... the Actionscript forum.

Yes, I will reward the good and smite the wicked with the forceful hand of cruel mockery and sarcasm!

*ahem*

Right... ummm... with my experience with rules and such in multi-user environments like forums or MU*s I feel that they are a grim necessity.

Unfortunately people tend not to read the rules or even give a shriveled cashew when they do! The rules serve the moderators and the other good folk who try to get along. For those of us who stick around more than two posts, we follow the rules and everyone's happy... and note how the veterans who follow the rules tend to get quick responses? Hmmmm... there's a moral in that.

So the rules give moderators cause and justification to keep the forum clean of tripe posts. Newbies and pricks won't read them until they get offended I killed the post or insulted 'em.

It unfortunately makes moderators/administrators naught but janitors in this capacity.

Come to think of it... most of the people who stick around here beyond two posts already follow most of those guidelines.

Jungl3M4n
12-08-2001, 03:42 AM
I think that everithing in this world need rules, from the way to eat at home to the way to sleep(little bit exagerated).

But everithing has have rules, and I agree with you to add them, maybe I'm one of those who sometimes broke them but I have really clear that I have to obey that things that some times piss us off called rules.

Add them and If I can follow them slap me.

By the way Jesse and Strok, there is any way to add the rules and a normal timer like 80 secconds to that page in the registration area??? would be easy to show the rules of this forum inmediatly when the user is trying to register, and you will be able to say "There in the registration steep we have showed you the rules and you are not following them", I dunno, it is just an idea about to how to make the rules to be readed, and add them to the welcome mail that the user receives when it get registered, and add a link to the rules in every mail sent by the forum.

I think that will be a good way to help the ppl read the rules and dont spam them with it.

Greets,

vilehelm
12-08-2001, 12:26 PM
I can't think of anything I would add or delete. (How bout "super obnoxious footers will be criticized unmercilessly.")

Although i have no idea how the Squirrel and I are going to maintain are excessivelly long post quotas.

Consarnit with these regulations!

Jungl3M4n
12-08-2001, 02:38 PM
I can offer my volunteer service as forum manainer and I can help to this to help the ppl to follow the rules, I'm almost all the day online and !!yes!! reading this forums :).

If my offer is taken I will accept the job.

Greets,

Tink
12-08-2001, 02:51 PM
sounds kewl to me!

20 Ton Squirrel
12-08-2001, 05:19 PM
Hey Vile, there's a catch in those rules about long posts. He stated that you should be brief in posting your QUESTION... nothing was stated about the response!

Muaaahahaa! Post to excess!

vilehelm
12-08-2001, 11:29 PM
One more thought on putting a squirrel at the wheel...

"Abuse of power should come as no surprise"

20 Ton Squirrel
12-09-2001, 04:32 AM
Muuaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha! SILENCE!!! I will not tolerate your impudence!

Guards, take him away!

Jungl3M4n
12-09-2001, 05:08 AM
hmmmm..... looks like he will send the uhhh ehhh, hmmm +m???

+m in irc

hehe

Greets

red penguin
12-09-2001, 07:44 PM
Let's see...sure, they are needed to maintain some sort of "peace" here...but as far as I can see, they are only common sense, right?

Will the newbies read them? I was there once, and I did....

Yippee for the forums!!!

Jesse
12-10-2001, 08:50 AM
We could actually include the rules in an email we send out at registration or something. We'll look into it. And I didn't comment about long replies, with you in mind 20TS, as I knew that'd get your tail up :)

red penguin
12-10-2001, 09:58 AM
That sounds like a good idea...but, I would like to know if the newsletters have gone out!!!

As for long replies, some of us like to ramble but that is usually a good thing for the most part!! We need a bit of sarcasm and humor among the cold cold world of the programming world...

Jesse
12-11-2001, 06:16 AM
Nah we're redoing the newsletter DB. You needn't subscribe again we just need to make it multiple smaller lists coz the prog can't handle so many subscribers :o)

red penguin
12-11-2001, 09:46 AM
so many subscribers

That's a good thing, right?

Ricod
12-11-2001, 05:21 PM
Speaking of subscriptions, I subscribed when I registerd ... but I've never received the newsletter ... :( everybody ignores me !

Ofcourse u realise this will result in me compansating that by pestering newcomers and members with less than 100 posts. Not to mention bothering other moderators with fake threads ...

So, who will monitor the moderators ? Who's the uber moderator ?

And exactly when is question long ? Surely the 20TS will have different standards on that matter than others ... :)

And last ... when can we expect the official Actionscripts.org-welcome-party ?

Strok
12-11-2001, 05:27 PM
We sent just one newsletter so far
but it wasn't sent to everybody
it seems to us that just a first half of subscribers got it
We trying to fix now.

Ricod
12-12-2001, 08:09 AM
I don't know boards by nature, but :

it would be handy if there was something we could use to mark threads as solved. Instead of having to enter the post. Don't worry, I read all posts in the beginners forums, but the others ...

blue
12-13-2001, 11:27 AM
THEYRE GREAT BUT CAN YOU TAKE EM OFF NOW?
they get quite annoying and i think that pople get the point

20 Ton Squirrel
12-13-2001, 02:06 PM
Ah, my friend, YOU may get the point but I promise that there are 1000+ other users here who don't and never will. As a fresh moderator here, I'd like to keep them thar rules posted up so when and IF I have to drop the hammer I can reference the loser to the rules.

If they don't stay in the forefront of each forum we should at least have a link posted that is visible.

red penguin
12-13-2001, 02:11 PM
I agree there with the fuzz-ball up there...keep em handy like a good reference book so that they can never say...

"Hey, I didn't see them!"

20 Ton Squirrel
12-13-2001, 02:30 PM
My previous experience as a security/law administrator on MUDs and forums had lots of people who cried foul when I dropped the hammer.

"I didn't see the rules!"
"You admin are being elitists!"
"Hey, quit disconnecting me!"
"WHY WAS I BANNED?!"

Of course their plaintiff cries fell on deaf ears, for I am a dark and vengeful Squirrel. Gotta keep them rules up and visible, even if they are common sense... I suppose I'm cynnical these days.

Ricod
12-14-2001, 09:14 AM
The only place where it would be noted more is placing it in a top frame or sumthing. Now THAT would be annoying.

Besides, too many newbies don't know we have rules. U know what we would get if we removed them ?

UTTER ANARCHIE ! OPEN REBELLION ! Before we know it they take over this forum with their violations ! Hence :

WE RULE THIS FORUM WITH AN IRON FIST !

(Maybe u want us to enforce a new rule ?! No shouting ! Jesse ? What do u think ? :p )

(speaking of moderators, what happened to the animation forum moderator ?)