PDA

View Full Version : Setting Expiration Date for a Flash Movie

John Dikmen
03-03-2001, 10:04 PM
I have a client who has asked me to develop several Flash movies which they in turn "lease" to their subscribers on an annual basis. They want their 2,000 current subscribers to have a library of these Flash movies to choose from where each subscriber can download individual movies to place on their independent web sites. The problem is that my client wants to know if there is a way to make a Flash movie expire after a certain period of time?

If this is not possible, is there some way that all the Flash movies could reside on my Client’s server with their subscribers accessing those images only if they have paid for the rights to use them for a specified period of time.

Thanks.

Jesse
03-04-2001, 03:53 AM
You can restrict access via standard http protocols. I've not done it but one company I made flash projects for did a similar thing, limiting a user's access to files until they had paid for the work.

You could have a check at the start of your flash document which simply checks the date using getDate() and if the date is beyond a certain point, it closes the Flash movie, but this could be sabotaged by a user simply changing their systmem clock. You could also store the current date on a cenrtal server to prevent users changing their clock but that would require a connection tot he Internet for date verification...

Cheers

Jesse