PDA

View Full Version : Challenge - Lifelike 3D

Dylan Marvin
06-29-2005, 04:58 AM
I made this little guy a four years ago and it's still my favorite homemade eye candy, especially because the code is basic and the effect is lifelike. It's a 3D swimming fish.

Now the problem. By the nature of duplication, it always swims towards the viewer. I've never been able to code it so it swims away from the viewer, turning around naturally. I'm sure it can be done by adding/changing less than 25 lines of code, since that's about the length of code used for the main clip (hope this fits the rules...) Does anyone think they would be up to the challenge? It would probably take some freaky swapDepths actions.
Your reward is me being humbled.

Included is the swf zipped, also it can be viewed on my site linked below. I will certainly post the fla if anyone thinks it a reasonable challenge.

jjbilly
07-05-2005, 03:28 PM
That sounds interesting - my bet is to see it side-on, there'll need to be more than swapdepth, unless it really does just dart round.

Dylan Marvin
07-06-2005, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the response. Here's a fla. There are two movie clips, one on and one off the stage. Code comments are included. I've been able to code before it so it swims away (reversing the frames in the fish clip), but the transition from front to back looked too weird.

jjbilly
07-06-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm off on holiday... but I'll have a look when I'm back and reinvigorated... or, have a look at what other people have managed!

clifton
02-05-2013, 05:34 PM
It is interesting indeed, no matter how its animation but one thing which I really got inspire that is its 3D swimming fish. That is splendid indeed.