PDA

View Full Version : Making feather effect....

Nisha
12-19-2001, 09:53 AM
Can somebody please tell me how to get the feather effetct like the greetng card in following link uses.

I want use the feather effect with Image and it is not working with Modify>>Shape>> Soften Fill Edges is not working.

Example link is:

http://archies.indiatimes.com/ecards/jsp/Card.jsp?card_id=632&Lvl1=01&Lvl2=05&Lvl3=02&Lvl4=00&hBr=1

Spaceman Spiff
12-20-2001, 05:30 PM
You can use Soften Fill Edges on vector objects only. If you want to feather a rectangle you drew in Flash, this will work. However, it sounds like you are trying to feather an image. This will not work.

Either you need to edit the image (in Photoshop or something) so that it appears to feather out to the color you will be laying it overin Flash, or, you could lay a "feathered" vector object over the top of it in Flash.

Create this either by assigning a gradient fill to an object or by using Soften Fill Edges on an object. Depending on your shape, one play back smoother and be a smaller file size than the other.

Nisha
12-23-2001, 04:14 PM
Thank you for ur comnt....but if you could visit that link you will understand what I mean. actually I want to achieve a feather effect for an image. though I can do that with PS it is not displayed correctly with flash. I only want to know is how did they do that like in the link I have given.
Nisha

Spaceman Spiff
12-23-2001, 11:46 PM
Read my first reply more carefully.

You cannot use Soften Fill Edges on an image. You must alter the image in Photoshop.

Another option is to lay a gradient over the top of an image that goes from a color to transparent.

I have visited the link (again) and it they are using a combination of these two techniques (rather badly).

If are having a hard time getting your image from Photoshop to match your back ground in Flash, either you need to increase the number of colors your monitor is using or take a screen shot of your Flash background and use the eyedropper in Photoshop to match it exactly.

farafiro
12-24-2001, 12:15 PM
It's a very normal feather with PS and a gradient with flash just as Spaceman Spiff have said

nic
01-02-2002, 10:12 PM
Funky music...

Yep, looks like some feathering action, along with softened vector shapes: very tacky, a most distasteful site you have been browsing!

Yo, you know you can always export your images using real alpha transparency, by way of a PNG file. Here you can make a nice feathered bitmappo (making sure yr' bg is transparent!), then import it into FLA, etc..

Make sure you optimise the beast within FLA, or your file size will be shot to bits!!