PDA

View Full Version : Decompiler Question

LukaBuka
07-12-2005, 08:19 PM
I am thinking of getting Sothink SWF Decompiler (http://www.deprice.com/sothinkswfdecompiler.htm). Is it worth the money?

badlorry
07-13-2005, 01:38 PM
you could probably donwload a trial version, along with a trial of something like ASV, and work it out for yourself, they both give roughly the same set of decompiled bits and bobs, and I think one or both may recompile an fla from the swf file, but you'd have to check and see

arianhojat
07-13-2005, 02:31 PM
yes it is very much worth it. it has worked on every swf i have used it for so far. the only thing is sometimes the variables are renamed (i think) to less understandible _L1 _L2 and i rename them once i figure out what they are used for. Also the library items might be renamed to Symbol 1 2 3 instead of their actual names.

the only downside is seeing how much work alot of these nice flash animations/actionscript really are heh.

The workflow to get it to work is i think...
goto the flash site with the swf. Sothink is integrated in I.E. browser. press the Sothink button at top of I.E. it pops up in a GUI with swf. Export Fla button. i think there is another export button too, but i never use that.

there are some progs(flashincrypt) that actually encrypt the swf? so they cannot be decompiled easily, but i havent run into those.

Arian