PDA

View Full Version : director and flash

blue
12-25-2001, 12:59 AM
I downloaded director (shickwave builder) a few weeks ago and to my suprize found it to be the same as flash. There's the timeline the stage and the library are all there.

It is very hard to get the hang of but it is very advanced and contains loads of pre-made scripts. Now flash is exactly the opposite as it is very easy to work with but you have to write your own scripts. It's as if a completly different company had made director.

If only the team at macromedia would try to work together and mould director and flash into one big ''super program'' with the layout and simplicity of flash with the complex scripts and backend of director.

In rewiew i think that director is good for making online games but recommend flash to web designers.

Jesse
12-25-2001, 06:28 AM
I used to use Director, for a short period, but I found Flash to be more personable because the learning curve is less steep. I've heard lots of people say that Flash 6 is to be the first step towards amalgomating them... but I think MM know where their market are, and corporate dollars still roll in for Director as far as I can tell.

tg
12-26-2001, 02:47 PM
sure, macromedia could make director and flash be exactly the same, but then the flash pluggin would be the shockwave pluggin and would not be the most installed pluggin in the world.

flash is what it is cause macromedia wants to keep the pluggin small. this poll is really not too well defined, cause i would say director is way better for some projects where flash is way better for others... depends on the project, and what you want to do.

jimburton
12-26-2001, 07:51 PM
hear hear tg, a meaningless poll if ever there was one...I suggest next one to be 'What's better, good stuff or bad stuff?'

tg
12-26-2001, 09:52 PM
gotta be bad stuff... all the way.

vilehelm
12-27-2001, 03:57 AM
elvis looks a little funny there (awnhuh)

the real problem comes trying to switch back and forth. i started with director 3 or 4 when it was mostly an animation tool so i was used to the "cast" paradigm. I get frustrated by flash because i keep trying to make it behave like director and it really doesn't. The time lines if you really think about it are radically different from one another in some respects.

vilehelm
12-27-2001, 03:58 AM
i've never heard of a program called "diredtor"...

Ricod
12-27-2001, 08:17 AM
I believe Flash WAS made by a different company, which later got bought by Macromedia and then they started to call it Flash. Could be wrong here ...
I'm not to sure about the games ... ever rotated/scaled anything in Director ? Horrible BIG pixels ... sure they're nice when u want to go for that pixel look ... but most of the time we just are not ... good thing u can import Flash ... but did anybody check out the 3d capabilities from 8.5 ? Never worked with it ... just wondering if its any good. Flash and 3D is just too awckward.
This really is like comparing Photoshop and Illustrator. Speaking of Adobe, didn't they try something like Flash too ?

blue
12-27-2001, 11:58 PM
all im saying is hey people at mm, why have two differnt plugins that do allmost the same thing when it would be way better having just one with all the good points in it, so designers dont have learn action and lingo, casts and symbols.. while getting the best out of them both. you dont learn like australian so that you can get australian talking clients ey.

vilehelm
12-28-2001, 04:26 AM
i was with you up until the last sentence...

i have the feeling that they'll eventually get there but that the expanse that they're trying to cover is a little wider than we perceive it to be.

There are some very different paradigms at work. I think that channels in director will be a hardthing to reconcile with flash.

Most likely one will die off (probably director) and the other will pick up the slack and cover some functionality gaps.

Ricod
12-28-2001, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately broadband internet is still in its infant stage (internet in general actually) Its best to keep certain things seperated. But they're becoming more and more alike. But only recently. Flash 4 and Director 7 were very different. I don't think Director is going to disappear though.
Like bikes and cars. They both do the same (get u from a to b) And they didn't convert those to motorbikes. They just added that. I guess its more likely that Director will focus more and more on 3D and Flash will take over the 2D stuff.

tg
12-28-2001, 02:46 PM
mm could do what you want easily, they have probably talked about it many times. they don't want to. because adding all that stuff to flash would require adding all that stuff to the pluggin. this would make the pluggin go from a small easily/quickly downloaded file to a much larger longer download. which in turn means if someone needs to update the player they might not because of the time it would take to download. that philosophy may change as broadband gets more widespread, but i wouldn't count on it soon. i've been to like 3 or 4 mm seminars and they have stressed player size and the fact that the flash player is the #1 installed player on the web. shockwave is like #5 or something. mm attributes these numbers mostly to the size of the file. this subject is even touched on in moocks book in the forward or preface, can't remember which.

Rupert
12-29-2001, 01:26 AM
I was going to add my 2 cents worth but then I realised that would be less than a single US cent but anyway....Anybody remember ShockWave? Notice how that has fallen away in popularity as a standalone web deliverable medium.. Flash has really stolen the show. Adobe LiveMotion doesn't seem to me to have flown either...

At work we use Director for complex CD-ROM based projects that require many different media types to be placed in them - MPEG, QT, audio, Flash, AVI etc.. but for web or simple(r) CD projects we use Flash on its own.

BTW there are some great add-ons for Director that get rid of the chunky dissolves and give you much cleaner fades and wipes!

I would hate to see them try and combine Flash and Director if it was going to comprimise the plug-in size. I personally see them as two very different tools.

vilehelm
12-29-2001, 01:36 AM
Has anybody out there heard of or used I-Shell? I went to a training session for it when we considered it for one client but the project died so we didn't get too far into it.

Anyway it's sort of an alternative for director that i think has some real possibilities. Completely different way of thinking and really odd interface at first but once you get used to it, very very strong stuff.

coolio
12-30-2001, 11:52 PM
As mentioned above flash 6 is the next step to bring the 2 closer i hear, and i know that 3d will remain the focus for director and video streaming for flash 6...at least thats what ive gathered so far.
The one thing flash 6 needs to be to kick ass of director is more power in its player to push graphics a little more smoother.

blue
12-31-2001, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by tg
mm could do what you want easily, they have probably talked about it many times. they don't want to. because adding all that stuff to flash would require adding all that stuff to the pluggin. this would make the pluggin go from a small easily/quickly downloaded file to a much larger longer download.

an extra 5 or 10 mins isnt much longer and the flash plugin is so common i dont think i know anyone without it.

Ricod
01-02-2002, 08:38 AM
There r lotsa people who don't have it. (usually the ones who also think u can help them when their hotmail account isn't accessable) :) But seriously, a lot of people won't download something unless they HAVE to. 10 minutes may sound like nothing to most people here, but some people only spend like 10 minutes on the internet (average over a month) a day. Multitasking may also sound alien to them. And lets not forget the people who just started out with the whole internet thing. The younger ones tend to grasp matters a lot faster. The more adult ones (who may never have heard of macromedia) only know that lots of virusses are out there on the internet.

tg
01-02-2002, 02:26 PM
anyone and everyone can right now download the shockwave player, that contains everything needed plus the flash player, but they don't, according to mm something like 96% of internet users have the flash 3 player, something like 75+% have flash 4 player and i think flash 5 is somewhere in the 60s (i'll see if i can track down their numbers). shockwave is much lower than these. mm believes some of this has to do (either directly or indirectly) with the size of the plugin(again i'll try to track down the stats).

ok, i was way off... either the numbers have mysteriously changed(last time i saw them was a couple months ago), or alzheimers has finally started to kick in... but my numbers were way low.

here is the link (http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/survey/whitepaper/) check out the appendices.

here is the link (http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/shockwaveplayer/) to shockwave penetration stats.

Tink
01-02-2002, 02:38 PM
i can'y even d/l the shockwave player on my comp at work. IE just freezes. this means sites fantastic like www.yugop.com that use flash & director i can't view anymore coz it immediately starts trying to d/l shockwave and everything freezes.

BLEEDA