PDA

View Full Version : autorun cd...

jkd77
12-26-2001, 04:40 PM
Anyone know how to create an autorun disk?

The instructions I followed led me to create an autorun.ini file which contains the following:

[autorun]
OPEN=fileName.exe

(autorun.ini & fileName.exe are in the root directory of the CD)

And that's it. Will this work with a flash projector file? Will this work with an html file:

as in: OPEN=fileName.html ????

The last part of the instructions reads as follows:

Enable auto insert notification on the CD drive.

-Um, aren't all drives probably set that way?

Any help would be wonderful...
-Paul

Jesse
12-27-2001, 12:17 AM
1. You've done it correctly.
2. No it won't open an HTML document. Program files only.
3. No, my CDroms don't auto notify because it's a pain.

jkd77
12-27-2001, 02:28 PM
I've tested this autorun bit with a flash projector file (.exe) and so far it doesn't work.

I named my autorun file autorun.ini -- so I think that's ok.

Everything else is as previously stated. I simply published my flash site as a projector file, are there any settings particular to this that I need to be mindful of when creating the exe in flash?

Rupert
12-27-2001, 11:23 PM
It may not be relevant but...make sure you create the autorun file on a PC - if you create it on a MAC and then copy it to a PC it will have null characters in it.

Jesse
12-28-2001, 01:45 AM
Also ensure your drives are autorun enabled... If you throw in your Windows CD (or another with Autorun) doe sit start up?

jkd77
12-28-2001, 01:47 PM
I'm writing all this exclusively on a pc, so no null characters here.

Also, yes autorun cd's do automatically start and run in this here pc. I just tested Illustrator 9, and it did exactly what was expected. Just out of curiosity, I opened Illustrator's ini file and found the following code:

[autorun]
open=AutoPlay.exe -c
icon=Autoplay/ai8cd.ico

What's with that "-c" in the first line? Do I need that?

jkd77
12-28-2001, 02:03 PM
both illustrator and Norton's files are named as such:

Autorun.inf

let me try this and see if it works...

jkd77
12-28-2001, 02:25 PM
ah, that worked, thanx for all the help.

the cat
04-18-2002, 08:44 AM
I want my CD to autorun run but I am working on a Mac. How do I do this?

jkd77
04-18-2002, 01:51 PM
According to my research on just this topic, the only way to create an autorun mac disk is with burn software such as Roxio's Toast -- check the following link:

http://overture.cnet.com/software/0-3227898-1204-5339219.html?tag=st.sh.4773382-311-5339219.dir.productinfo

the cat
04-18-2002, 02:15 PM
so how you can create a script such as
[autorun]
open-filename.exe

on a PC you cannot do something similar? Is that what you're saying?

The Cat

jkd77
04-19-2002, 01:55 PM
All of my inquiries have lead me to believe that this is indeed the case. The mac does not use a file containing a script to autorun. Apparently the burn software you use on a mac needs to allow you to choose the file you wish to autorun, and then the software takes care of it. I get the feeling that not all burn software packages for the mac can do this (to my knowledge the factory installed burners/software for the macs in my office do not), and I would guess that the file selected as an autorun file must be the mac equivalent of a pc executable file -- which I believe is an hqx file.

CyanBlue
04-09-2003, 04:12 AM
I know this one is an old thread, but why not??? :D

AUTORUNing HTML (http://www.avdf.com/oct98/art_ot005.html)

bisso
04-05-2004, 01:09 AM
I have created a Flash Projector File (.exe) file and have included it in A autorun.inf file that runs the file correctly but it positions the file which is 700x525px in size at the bottom of my screen and I have to manually position the screen.
How do I get this file to position itself centered

HEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

SixxWise
01-31-2005, 09:07 PM
To open an html file via AUTORUN.INF in CD Root ......

[autorun]
OPEN=iexplore http://www.techanywhere.net/links/index.php

Change http://www.techanywhere.net/links/index.php to point to your page.

The easiest way to use Windows' default browser in place of iexplore is to write a simple vbscript.
Your AUTORUN.INF should look like this
OPEN=launch.vbs

In the root folder of the CD where the AUTORUN.INF file is located add LAUNCH.VBS

'Open web page using default browser
set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run "YourPageHere.html"
WSCript.Quit

A complete URL can be used in the place of YourPageHere.html

redmonaco
01-11-2010, 11:22 AM
I have created a Flash Projector File (.exe) file and have included it in A autorun.inf file that runs the file correctly but it positions the file which is 700x525px in size at the bottom of my screen and I have to manually position the screen.
How do I get this file to position itself centered

HEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

err, I know this is a bit old, but has nayone got an answer to this please???