PDA

View Full Version : LotR

Jesse
12-27-2001, 12:45 AM
I just wanted to say that I saw Lord Of The Rings on the first day here (yesterday) and it was bloody fantastic! Not the same as what I'd built up in my head after reading the books, but awesome none the less.
Anyone else have an opinion?

vilehelm
12-27-2001, 03:51 AM
It was pretty damn fantastic. It had me worried just a little bit. All of the dialouge started off a little stiff as they tried to explain everything ( ifelt a little beaten over the head by "the ring is bad"). But once it got going it really got going.

I wasn't expecting the scale that they managed to create. It was huge.

Much more dramatic than the books and a sense of urgency is really there that the books don't have.

A+ and i saw it at the drive-in no less!

Ricod
12-27-2001, 08:02 AM
Isn't he a nasty fellow ! :) MAN, thats what I call making an impression ! And the nine ! Really cool ! Normally bad guys sound like James Earl Jones (which is stupid cuz that kind of voice just says 'father' of in his case vader) but the way they screamed ... like glass ! But now we have to wait another year for the sequel, and another for the finish ... who knows what they can do in CG by then !

vilehelm
12-27-2001, 01:15 PM
Heh, my girlfriend had never read the books and at the end of it she said: "Is that it? when are they gonna get rid of the ring?".

"Sweetie, that's not for another two movies."

hah,

vilehelm
12-27-2001, 01:15 PM
She's actually very bright...I hope she doesn't read this...

Ricod
12-27-2001, 01:43 PM
Vilehelm's going to sleep on the couch tonight ! :p

kingarturo
12-28-2001, 12:34 AM
More like in the doghouse. :D

vilehelm
12-28-2001, 04:29 AM
I'll probably wind up hiding in a tree with the squirrel.

pinkaboo
01-04-2002, 09:33 AM
Hiya all, I saw LOTR last weekend and thought it was simply fab, been waiting for that film for ages. Thought the special effects guys (and gals) were just showing off a bit though, yet all hail to them as they did it magnificently! Some of those shots were superb.
Not so convinced by those elves, should have been prettier, less wooden. Elves need cool checkbones. Some of the elven extras were real elves but they gave the speaking parts to the bland ones - doh.
Still, I can't wait for the next one, can't believe we have to wait a year - what's that all about?!!
K

20 Ton Squirrel
01-04-2002, 01:57 PM
I haven't seen it, but DEATH to a miserable wretch of a co-worker who ruined the ending for me. She was all like, "It sucked, it was too long and was all about special effects."

Ugh... of all the ferqing nerve. She hasn't even read the BOOKS. I'm one of those old-school Tolkien freaks, so this has been a long time coming. From what I've seen of the Nazgül, I will be suitably impressed. Man those things rule.

I'm gonna go see it with my family and friends this weekend. Thanks to you all for not divulging anything further to spoil enjoymentosity of this most profoundly cool moviething.

Brought to you by your local Nazgül-In-Training...

Oh yeah, all the movies have already been filmed from what I understand. They'll be released annually. Just another baseless internet rumor I picked up on. Check your local Cinefex mag for details.

pinkaboo
01-04-2002, 02:06 PM
oh yeah, the Nazgul are very cool.
That reminds me, my boyfriend and I went to a fancy dress party as Nazgul once, though I must admit the idea was better than the costume which was the same as our "intergalactic time-travelling buffalo" costumes, just without the horns! (ok, we were students and cos we were in halls and lacked an income fancy dress tended to consist of accessorised black bin bags!)

Hoorah for Tolkien (again), think I'm going to go see it once more while it's still on the big screen. yay

K

tg
01-04-2002, 02:35 PM
ya saw it last weekend -- pretty good...

20 ton, how the hell can we spoil it if you've read the books???

i used to envision elsves as something like vulcans, but if they did that in the movie folks would have been saying "WHAT THE HELL ARE ALL THE VULCANS DOING IN LOTR?". *hehehehe*

ya heard same thing about all 3 being done, wish they would realease next in june(get the summer croud) and the last in xmas 2002 (oscars again) and then june 2003 well be ready for the boxed set of (extra special collectors edition of course) dvds.

oh well... now you see why i'm not a movie exec.

don't read the next part squirrel its a ****SPOILER****

i did miss tom bombadil and the borrow downs (remember before they get to bree) from the book, but, i guess if they had put it all in, it would have been a 4-5 hour movie.

20 Ton Squirrel
01-04-2002, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I know... it's kinda like spoiling Romeo and Juliet. But it's the PRINCIPLE that matters! Plus there are certain parts in it that could be a surprise despite having read the books. It's all in how the director executed the author's vision.

Kinda like Planet of the Apes... there were surprises in that one despite my having seen the previous classics. Even reading the book didn't prepare me for it. Good flick, too. Good ole' Markie-Mark Walberg... never lets his crowd down. *cough, cough*

20 Ton Squirrel
01-07-2002, 01:27 PM
Saw it Saturday with the family... it was nothing short of EPIC. The best part was that my son loved it every bit as much as I did. Reminds me of when my parents took me to go see Star Wars (despite the fact I fell asleep at it).

The soundtrack, the cast, the sets... it was all amazing. Gah, the Balrog was just UNBELIEVABLY cool. And the Nazgül! And Gandalf! And... poop, I could go on for hours.

It more than lived up to the book in my humble opinion, despite little gaps (which I could barely remember anyway... it's been a while).

I will have that movie when it is released to video... oh yesssssss...

Jesse
01-07-2002, 11:36 PM
Video? Get a DVD player man! hehe. That was my gift to myself for Christmas and now I'm a complete DVD convert.

red penguin
01-08-2002, 12:06 AM
Okay, I agree with most of what has been said here but I gotta choke up on the soundtrack bit...I wanted to KILL Enya by the end!
I kept having visions of that couple in that movie about the boat that sank because the driver didn't see that big block of ice in the way. Don't know why, but I thought the soundtrack could've been better. Although for the life of me, I can't make a recommendation...
Lot's were missed but as tg said, it would've been too long with it all. But I'm curious, the fact that Sam despised water and couldn't swim...these subtle things...I did miss them.

Okay, off the box

Ricod
01-08-2002, 07:50 AM
Ah, the new technology ... call me old fashioned but I prefer film. The grain ... the flickering ... the smell of celluloid ... too bad those reels are so - expensive ...

20 Ton Squirrel
01-08-2002, 01:56 PM
Of course I'll be getting DVD! I bought a cheap, crappy player a while back that doesn't work for anything but a freshly opened DVD... that sucks. Let me tell you folks, you get what you pay for in that market. Stick with a trusted brand name!

Fortunately the Playstation 2 came to the rescue. And with the handy-dandy remote accessories it's as good as the real thing.

I'm an old-school Enya fan so I didn't find it all that annoying. In fact I think she only has one song on the soundtrack. I don't recall... did they overkill it? I thought the majority of the movie was done to the score, not May It Be.

That does it, I'll have to go see it again to find out.

vilehelm
01-08-2002, 01:59 PM
I was stuck in the Tampa airport the day that football nut ran through the atlanta airport so i bought the book and reread it so it was pretty fresh in my mind when i went to see it.

There were huge gaps and reconstructions but at the same point it was a great adaptation. I was really impressed with how emotional it was. I didn't quite buy Cate Blanchett's reaction to the ring but it sold the point even more than the book how dangerous the ring was.

Time was also a big difference. The first book spans 30 years or so. The movie made it feel like it was a matter of days. Like i said, a great adaptation, all adding to the feeling of urgency.

I'm gonna go see it again in a week or two. Slip out during lunch:D .

Ricod
01-08-2002, 02:17 PM
Playstation 2 eh ? I don't have one yet (I'm waiting for MGS2 and the gamecube so the price of PS2 drops). Anyway ... a friend told me that the PS2 DVD-player has no native support for the SCART-cable and Super VHS, resulting in lousy visuals(Tulip-plugz).

R they going to release the DVD later or r they going to wait until all 3 have been in the cinema ? (that would suck)

I wonder what those elves weigh ... he was walking on snow while the rest was wading through it ... shouldn't he be blown of the damn mountain then ?

20 Ton Squirrel
01-08-2002, 02:39 PM
*Laugh* Well, according to the lore of Tolkein, Elves are significantly lighter than Humes. Plus they are just better at maneuvering in nature... perhaps his gift of snow-walking is a skill of weight dispersal, kinda like the Eskimos do with those tennis racket thingies. Ah, it's a fantasy thing anyway. Ya can't explain 100% of it. Besides, I don't think it would be a good plot device for Legolas to be set adrift from a strong mountain breeze. My wife would weep!

As for PS2's DVD capability, I'm no video pro so I dunno. All I know is that I put the DVD in and it plays. It doesn't need to be supa-powa as long as I can watch the dern thing.

DVDs do have better quality and such, that is a major selling point for me. But even more so is their durability when compared to the lifespan of your average VHS tape.

Remember laserdisc? In my old electronics class back in high school we found one of the world's first laserdisc players. It was easily 50 pounds and as big as four regular VCRs. Inside it was a demo disc for the "brand new" El Camino. Still crystal-clear quality after all those years!!!

Ricod
01-08-2002, 02:57 PM
LD ! Those were HUGE ! If u used them as a frisbee, people below it would think the aliens from ID:4've arrived ! Still, I wanted them when they arrived ... Dragon's Lair ! But they were too expensive for me ...

To bad that scratches can still mess up everything. A MD solution would be handy.

hmm ... its amazing I'm wondering about the elf snow thing, yet a flaming, all-seeing eye seems perfectly acceptable ...

vilehelm
01-08-2002, 04:34 PM
Let's all say it together:

"The Balrog Rocked"

20 Ton Squirrel
01-08-2002, 05:03 PM
Yeah, my jaw literally dropped when the Balrog stepped into view. That was a scene I was really excited about seeing going in.

Those were some spectacular effects. But aside from the necessary CG monstrosities, like the cave troll or the Balrog, the effects supported the movie rather than overpowered it.

It's a fine line that too many movies cross these days. Awesome graphics will not ensure the success of a flick. Look at Final Fantasy!!! Squaresoft took a major blow with that one.

red penguin
01-08-2002, 08:21 PM
"The Balrog rocked"!!

I couldn't wait to see how they would portray him in the film....Agreed, 20 Ton, effects did support the film. And Gandolf was incredible!

20 Ton Squirrel
01-08-2002, 08:35 PM
"YOU WILL NOT PASS!!!"
Gandalf was one of my heroes growing up. He and, ironically enough, Sam.

Thirty no-points to the person that can tell me what Sam represented in this book/movie.

red penguin
01-08-2002, 08:38 PM
What Sam represents....hmmmmnnn...

Our alter-ego?

20 Ton Squirrel
01-08-2002, 08:45 PM
Heh! Okay, lets be more specific...

What does Sam represent to Frodo in the book/movie?

red penguin
01-08-2002, 08:56 PM
You've got me there. I keep thinking but my thinking is within a certain box....

eventually you've gotta let the cat outta the bag, though, right?

I am still wondering about my color problem...seen it?

vilehelm
01-08-2002, 11:40 PM
Is this like the whole batman and robin thing?

wink wink

pinkaboo
01-09-2002, 08:36 AM
I think Sam kinda represents the Shire, as Frodo gets more and more twisted up by the Ring Sam is there to remind him of all they have to lose by submitting to the Rings desire. He is normality in the unexpected and terrifying surrounding Frodo on his strange adventure.

That, and of course he adds an element of light comic relief (though Merry and Pippin more so) to juxtapose against the darkness.

Actually, that sounds like I am belittling Sam somewhat, maybe I should also add that Sam is a heroic aide to Frodo. While Frodo's party consists of a truly noble set of mighty men, elves, dwarves etc, it is Sam who, despite his fear, is the most loyal to his friend, testing and proving his faithfulness and courage, and is the drive for Frodo's success (perhaps)

red penguin
01-09-2002, 08:38 AM
Yeah, pinkaboo, that and "home is where the heart is!" comes to mind now that you mention it!

Rupert
01-09-2002, 11:30 AM
Question for you: I have a 10 year old daughter who is pretty mature for her age and not easily freaked out. She has already read the LOTR book. I'm dying to go see it. Do I need to get a babysitter, or is it something you guys think a kid could see without needing years of therapy?

Kadezz
01-09-2002, 12:08 PM
Hi Rupert,

First I would say "she might be to young to understand the story completely" but because she's already read the book she'll be okay, I reckon. I think the level of "scaryness" is fine for a ten year old, allthough there might still be some lines where she might have some problems understanding, but when "daddy" explains, she will. She'll love the film and the beautifull images!

Have fun :)

Kadezz

20 Ton Squirrel
01-09-2002, 02:27 PM
WOW! Give the girl a radioactive cashew! Pink, your No-Points are in the mail. It's like you read my mind (scary thought). That's pretty much what I said when my English prof asked me and it sparked this wonderful conversation about the whole series and the vast symbolism throughout it.

That's why I was completely satisfied with the ending of the movie.

I'll probably open myself up to all sorts of criticism and flames, but I took my six-year old son to see it. I offer no apologies for it, either.

There are defining points in our lives, and this was one of those little moments. Nothing could beat the feeling of seeing that with my son. Sure, there were a few violent/scarey moments, but this isn't some two-bit dime-a-dozen slasher flick. This is classic literature brought to the silver screen. Like I alluded to before, it was like my pop taking me to see Star Wars.

I feel my son is still a kid, but he's mature enough to handle that movie. Heck, network television shows worse every day. And as for understanding it... well, I was reading Piers Anthony at a tender age. There was ALOT I didn't understand, but it still enrapt me.

I think it's a judgement call of the parent's part. No one knows the child better.

tg
01-09-2002, 03:01 PM
i think he represents the gardner. hehehe

20ton right you are, i say the parent knows the child the best, myself, i know for a fact, that if i had taken my 7 year old daughter to the movie, i would be sleeping on the couch, cause she would be in bed with my wife and i and she(my daughter) kicks in her sleep. i think she would have wet herself when the bolrog(he who rocks) showed up (probably before in the anticipation of the bolrog showing up with the glowing walls and all and knowing something bad was soon to show up).

tg
01-09-2002, 03:15 PM
no, you didn't say anything wrong, 20 ton squirrel has a thing for cashews (get it squirrel & nuts). he loves em so much he is always pimpin em on the rest of us.... the radioactive thing?? well... 20 tons a bit wacked (in a good way) maybe he has had a few too many rays (xrays that is) himself and gone alittle squirrely on us(sorry bout that). as a new poster, you will soon come to learn that:
1. the squirrel gives good info
2. the info is usually spiced with wacked out zanyness
and 3. he is always a good read.

enjoy.

red penguin
01-09-2002, 03:15 PM
Good point, 20 Ton....No one knows better than the parent themselves....or at least that's what we hope. Some parents don't have a hand in their children's lives and we can see the damaging affects later in life. Sad but true.

I love it, a scripting site and we're giving parental advice!!

Cheers to the both of you (or anyone else, for that matter...) for taking your children (well, Freeman hasn't actually taken his daughter yet, but I think he will...) . It is a classic. When I was around the same age...just learning to read...my grandfather read this to me...I seem not to to remember too much but I do remember being kept on the edge of my seat, asking questions, learning. I'm sure things were left out, but I loved it...I was hooked from then on...

As for the radioactive cashew : Let's harness the power...

tg
01-09-2002, 03:17 PM
i could have sworn kadez had a response between my two prior responses....

Kadezz
01-09-2002, 03:28 PM
:o okay okay - I'll admit it - you caught me tg!

I did have a message between your two prior answers.
But, being unexperienced at - this kind of - forums, and not always understanding the funny worthings, I suddenly thought I was making a fool of myself asking whether I had said something wrong there.

Excuse me for taking the message away and leaving you in a blur, the message dissapeared before I noticed you had answered to it.

You okay?
Me okay!

:)

20 Ton Squirrel
01-09-2002, 03:37 PM
It's a dern good thing sanity wasn't on the requirement checklist for moderator, tell ya. I might never have made the cut! Don't be afraid of voicing yer opinion, chum. I'm certainly not. I can take a good flaming, bring it on! No blood, no foul!

Oh gawd, what have I done?!

Kadezz
01-09-2002, 03:45 PM
flaming?
why?
huh?
peace!

communication problems, tell me about it

tg
01-09-2002, 04:37 PM
if im nutty enough to visit these forums for a couple of hours each day, then i deserve what i get.

pinkaboo
01-09-2002, 04:39 PM
well, I don't know, aren't your lips just watering at the thought of a nice lightly charred squirrel kebab? mmmmmm (all the toppings, mango, red onion, mint sauce, chilli, jalapenos, oh yes)

it's nearly tea time too hooray

K

tg
01-09-2002, 04:54 PM
i'd like my squirrel without mintsauce or mango thankyou.

... ya know, if you wrap it good in aluminum foil before you microwave it, it gets nice and crunchy on the outside, but oooh so tender in the middle.

red penguin
01-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Aluminium/aluminum....which is it? And in the microwave? What are you trying to do? Last time I did that, sparks were flying everywhere! Mom nearly had a cow right there in the kitchen...

Rupert
01-09-2002, 09:12 PM
I know it is up to my judgement as to whether my daughter is up to the movie and every child is different (thankfully!) I just wondered what others thought. If Squirrell Jr could handle it at 7 - I think that is a good start.

Pink you are right, I'll save on the babysitting fee and buy my daughter a ticket and a huge box of squirrelly popcorn she can hide behind if it all gets too much.

Anyway, shes seen me on a Sunday morning, could anything be worse?

tg
01-09-2002, 09:24 PM
the sparks makes the skin crispy.

vilehelm
01-10-2002, 01:00 AM
Well, i was gonna make one of my quick pithy remarks at 20TS's expense but I didn't have the heart. You're a good dad i think.

I'm not a parent but i do believe sometimes children are "babied" a little too much. When violence, horror etc. is contextualized in the right way and something is really TRULY learned that is WORTH learning then I can't see the harm in a little scariness.

Better to see something epic, emotional and inspiring than to sort of diddle around in middle class mushy wishy washy poo poo mediocrity about nothing.

Kids need to want to do something GREAT (is that a sentence?)

So did you get some of that good movie theater "butter" on your cashews? Sorry couldn't help it...

Rupert
01-10-2002, 01:10 AM
Pink you are right, I'll save on the babysitting fee and buy my daughter a ticket and a huge box of squirrelly popcorn she can hide behind if it all gets too much.

Oops sorry - it wasn't Pink it was Red Penguin.

I'm going to go this Saturday, my daughter says that if I find it too scarey I can go wait in the car while she watches the rest!!

I agree with vilehelm, you can't wrap your kids up in cotton wool (actually bubblewrap might be better) and you do have to try to give them adequate emotional machanisms to cope with the world they are growing up in.

pinkaboo
01-10-2002, 11:20 AM
aww, and I thought my telepathetic powers were working today as well, got all excited at the prospect of communicating without posting. pants.
Glad you've decided to take her though.
I must admit I was surprised that the film was rated a PG until I read the "suggested 8 yr olds plus" disclaimer (or maybe that is just Britain?) as I thought some of the scenes were a bit graphic. But sounds like your daughter should be fine, she's read the book so she knows how it all turns out in the end, that should make her sit there smugly, safe in the knowledge of what comes next, instead of running out the cinema in terror. It's always a lot worse when you imagine what happens next than when you already know the story. I'm sure she'll love it. Besides, she'll be going with you to hold her hand and protect her if it gets too much. Dad's are great like that. Actually there's an irony there, in my family it was me debating whether to take my Dad with me to see it!
I would recommend maybe sitting near an aisle though, drinking too much coke during the 3 hour film left me somewhat crosslegged!

K

20 Ton Squirrel
01-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Heh! Werd out to all yo muddas. I hear that! The movie was epic in every sense of the word... especially length. I think I could've sat through another two hours, though. I have mastered the art of Iron Bladder. Ah yessssss, my Kung Fu is vewy goo!

And they didn't have cashews there, much to my chagrin, but the Edwards theater here in Houston is very nice. My Uncle-In-Law visited the Do-It-Yourself popcorn bar and made this hideous batch of "cheese salt" popcorn. Had more powder on it than popcorn!!!

And the abuse of squirrels in microwaves is right up there with eating kittens! It's just plain WRONG! *grin*

Apologies for yet another tired and shameless Tick reference

Everyone knows if a squirrel's gotta go, ya gotta do it the humane way: with a BB Gun!

tg
01-10-2002, 02:31 PM
your crackin me up.

vilehelm
01-10-2002, 11:42 PM
Squirrel your Iron Bladder technique is most impressive. Your skills and your girth are extraordinary, but you have yet to face my BIG GULP ICED TEA TECHNIQUE!

(lots of wooshing sounds and yelling followed by a fizzy glugging sound).

I've been on another forum lately for Unreal Tournament map editing ( its fun i can't help it ) and they are the biggest bunch a snot nosed mouthy punks there. I sure do love this place.

Now have at thee squirrel! (turns on all of the faucets and laughs cruelly as the squirrel's eyes go yellow)

Ricod
01-11-2002, 08:58 AM
Where did u people manage to get a microwave THAT big ? It's probably easier to roast it over one o those steel melting ovens ! (adds a nice, sharp taste to it too !)

Parents, I hope u don't take those ratings as rules. The governments keep forgetting there's no manual on parenting AND that there are reasons why not ...

I saw Evil Dead at age 6 ... I turned out okay ...
Now excuse me, I'll need to turn my squirrels. I like mine rare and still twitching ...

20 Ton Squirrel
01-11-2002, 02:13 PM
Ya'll remember those commercials?! *snicker* The Bruce Lee one was the absolute best.

The technique was mastered at an early age. My father, the cruel taskmaster, would subject the family to an 800+ mile road trip. This trip had 2 stops. I always compared it to that scene in Kung Fu where the students are thrusting their hands into that cauldron of spikey stuff.

Evil Dead at age 6? Wooo! Got me beat. I saw it at 10. Man, Bruce Campbell is my HERO. Anyone out there read his book? If Chins Could Kill, Confessions of a B-Movie Actor. Damn good read. Anyone played the Evil Dead:Hail to the King game for PS/Dreamcast? Another winner full of classic one liners.

"Good... bad... I'm the guy with the shotgun."
"Guns don't kill people... I do."
"Yo, she-*****... let's go."
"Say hi to disco for me."
"I got news for you, pal, you ain't lead'n but two things right now: Jack and ****... and Jack left town."
"Klaatu... verrata... nich*cough-cough*"

Ricod
01-11-2002, 02:24 PM
U'd think he oughta know the line by now ... "klaatu, verrata, nestronomicon" right ? Did u saw "Army of Darkness" ?

vilehelm
01-11-2002, 02:25 PM
"Because in my own mind...I am king, hail to the king baby"

vilehelm
01-11-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Ricod
U'd think he oughta know the line by now ... "klaatu, verrata, nestronomicon" right ? Did u saw "Army of Darkness" ?

It's klatu verrata nectu i thought?

It's originally from the movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still".

Ricod
01-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Really ? Where they just doing a parody then ? (The book was still the nestronomicon, right ?) Ah, its been over 10 years since I last saw that movie ... Is "The Day the Earth Stood Still" any good ?

vilehelm
01-11-2002, 04:26 PM
Is "The Day the Earth StoodStill" any good. Well, that depends on what your into.Thereal value of old movies for me is that modern film makers reference them so much. It just adds something.

For instance, i really did not like the Batman movies at all but they are chock full of references to film noir, d.w.griffith's "birth of a nation" and lots of other stuff...

It's Necronomicon (necro - dead like book of the dead). By the way did anybody read Cryptonomicon? Squirrel, you'd probably like that.

pinkaboo
01-11-2002, 04:34 PM
not read Cryptonomicon yet, but I love Neal Stephenson's other books, Snow Crash (in fact my goldfish is called Hiro after Hiro Protagonist!) and The Diamond Age. Bit put off by Cryptonomicon though to be honest, looks like a long and intricate read, I like to read books pretty much in one go and not in dribs and drabs so I have no time for it at the moment, too much commuting ;o( Definitely on the "to read" list though it's supposed to be fantastic.

K

20 Ton Squirrel
01-11-2002, 04:44 PM
Oddly enough, my horror reading tends to be strictly King and Lovecraft. Not through any prejudice, mind you, just habit. Most of my casual reading is fantasy with a smattering of sci-fi... which brings the thread around full circle with the opinion that Tolkein's work is referenced/homaged/plagerized just like Vile's example of the crusty movies.

There are VERY few novels out there that don't have some kind of Tolkein influence. Heck, I always thought it was funny how TSR (makers of Dungeons & Dragons) was suing other gaming companies over the use of their concepts. Look at D&D's list of races and what will you find? HALFLING! In other words: HOBBITS!!!

Gandalf shaped our conceptions of what a wizard should look like, how grizzled old dwarves should behave...

Was it you, Vile, who quoted something like:
"Those who claim to be original simply hide their sources better."

It just goes to show how great the series is. I'll look into this Cryptonomicon thang... sounds interesting. I'll recommend a great fantasy writer: Steven Brust. The Vlad Taltos series is one o' my favorites. Start with Jhereg and work yer way up. They're short books, so they make a quick and entertaining read.

Werd.

Ricod
01-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Then I'll definitly watch it ! I knew the necro part ... like in necromancers, right ? Unfortunately I don't have enough patience to read, so only read whats recommended to me (than my interest becomes stronger than my lack of patience). Just finished "the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy: part 4 of 3", I believe. Hilarious ! I liked Batman, but all the sequals where terrible.
Its true that Tolkien set the standard, but LOTR wasn't completely original. There's a lot of "Ring die Nibelungen" in there, which in its turn isn't completely original either. I guess folktales would be the origin ? No matter, I never understood the importance of complete originality anyway. Sometimes I even prefer to see something bad ... especially when I'm too tired to think. And TSR ... HAH ! What arrogance ! They could've easily called "D&D" "D&D - By Middle Earth inspired game" ...
If that ever works, then people oughta sue each other for tons of other crap. Like the person who invented Rugby sueing te person that invented (American) Football, because some things are similar, and that person being sued in turn by the one that invented some other ball game, cuz Rugby is also a ball game. Where will this end ?

vilehelm
01-11-2002, 06:52 PM
I call the rights to the rock! i invented the rock anybody using rock or a rock derivitive is on my suing list. that includes sand too!so silicon valley watch out!

I can't claim the originality quote but i agree with it. My favorite art quote is Jasper Johns "Take something, do something with it, do something else with it." The belief that GENIUS is something that shoots out from the void is bull patootie.

Tolkien certainly didn't invent elves or dwarves...nazgul maybe but it's all an appropriation of the mythology that our collective subconcious is crammed with.

Cryptonomicon is intimidating size wise but really worth it. It's a two timeline story between codebreakers during WW2 and encryption today.

I read Jhreg and the one after that when I was in high school. Loved em. I remember that book is where i learned that the key to fencing was exposing as little of your body as possible to a thrust. that's why they stand sideways...

20 Ton Squirrel
01-14-2002, 03:40 PM
Vile, you are a man of impecable taste. I've bought Jhereg five times, each time giving it to a friend for them to read. Each time they got hooked. The series is now something like 10 books long, Brust just released Issola. The only ones that sucked were Teckla and Orca. Vlad inspired my swordsmanship as well. I loved his theory of survival...

"An inferior swordsman can always retreat."

And the quotes at the beginning of each chapter in Jhereg... priceless gems.

"When staring into the maw of an enraged Dragon, one quickly learns manners"
"Tred lightly near thine own traps."

Brust is a great author. Weird guy, though. Reminds me of some of my in-laws.

I totally agree that Tolkein didn't invent most of those concepts. He took those things and shaped them into a cohesive, ingrossing world of fantasy that has inspired countless dreamers like m'self, a pseudo-aspiring writer (pseudo in the fact I have yet to finish a damn story in all my years).

I'd attribute the true origins of fantasy concepts to folklore, as Rico mentioned.

I'll end this post by proudly stating that LotR has been top of the box office for four weeks running.

Oh yes, I almost forgot... you are under my power!!! (http://www.konstruktiv.net/kitty_02.html)

Ricod
01-14-2002, 04:48 PM
And u people thought my footer gave people seizures ... Must ... destroy ... fetch fish ... yes, dark lord !

tg
01-14-2002, 04:48 PM
man 20ts if you made that, you do need some help*grin*.

20 Ton Squirrel
01-14-2002, 05:02 PM
Though the humor is certainly of my caliber, I can't claim ownership of that. My insane father-in-law sent me that link 'cuz I have a Prussian Blue cat like that one. He looked just like that when he was a kitten...

And now, back to...
RADIOACTIVE SEIZUREBOTS!!!

vilehelm
01-15-2002, 06:50 AM
Damn i turn my back for a second and i miss something, what was the banner? cat, seizures, insane father in law???ARGGGGHHHHH!

tg
01-15-2002, 02:52 PM
go to 20ts previous post and click on the link "you are under my power"
...you'll see. then you will wonder out of your office, down to the local grocery store, buy their entire stock of cashews and mail them off to a very happy squirrel in texas. you will then wander back to work and not remember a thing.

red penguin
01-16-2002, 06:49 AM
I missed that whole link too...Very subliminal! In fact, I just woke up after a six hour blackout due to the kitty!