PDA

View Full Version : getURL('javascript:blablah();'); - works locally, not online.

beau
07-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Why would a flash movie call javascript locally, but not do it online? I've created flash movies that call javascript functions all the time. This one has been created by someone else, I'm trying to implement it, and I can't really tell that there's any difference... the button is inside a symbol, but that shouldn't affect anything, right? I don't need to do something like _root.getURL(blahblah) do I?

badlorry
07-26-2005, 09:53 AM
as long as the blablah() script is in the HTML page where your Flash movie is embedded, and the function has no errors in it, then it should run fine

beau
07-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Right. That's what you would think. It works fine when all the files are on my computer. When I move them up to the server, the files do not work.

When I point my local file's swf url at the version up on the server, it does not work.

stephSumo
07-26-2005, 03:35 PM
you're doing something wrong, I used this thousands of times, online, not online, no matter where you do, it just works. Keep searching for the bug...

beau
07-26-2005, 04:19 PM
you're doing something wrong, I used this thousands of times, online, not online, no matter where you do, it just works. Keep searching for the bug...
Okay. This I know. I'm wondering is there some sort of setting in a flash file, via actionscript that will do this? I can't imagine...

badlorry
07-26-2005, 11:00 PM
you could try httptracer (a freeware http trace program) to make sure that what you're calling, is what you expect

stephSumo
07-27-2005, 07:33 AM
Okay. This I know. I'm wondering is there some sort of setting in a flash file, via actionscript that will do this? I can't imagine...
Use Firefox, open javascript console, and watch what happens. If there are errors, then your js is wrong, if there are no errors, then your js might not be found (if no error and does not work). Is your JS in the html page, or in a js file linked to it ?, try different things, till it works... (or give me your files, I'll watch)

beau
07-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Here's the clinker - it's IE only - any other browser gets a default image because the entire thing is in a floating div, using a transparent background on the flash file. So I can't test it in Fireworks.

I'm NOW trying fscommand, but that's not working either, because, I think, the file is being loaded dynamically, (after determining which browser they're using).

Augh.

stephSumo
07-28-2005, 07:31 AM
transparent backgrounds work in Safari 1.3 Mac
fscommand is a less good idea than js.

beau
07-28-2005, 02:41 PM
transparent backgrounds work in Safari 1.3 Mac
fscommand is a less good idea than js.
Yeah I gave up on the fscommand thing.

Safari 1.3? That's odd. I don't think we even support Safari on our site. I'll check that out. That would be awesome.

I'm still wrestling with this thing. It's driving me crazy.

stephSumo
07-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah I gave up on the fscommand thing.

Safari 1.3? That's odd. I don't think we even support Safari on our site. I'll check that out. That would be awesome.

I'm still wrestling with this thing. It's driving me crazy.
You still can send me your files if you like...

beau
07-28-2005, 06:21 PM
You still can send me your files if you like...
Okay. I will. Thanks.