PDA

View Full Version : remote php to parse csv, return html?

beau
08-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Here's the problem:

Our main server doesn't run php, but a secondary server does. (long story, just follow along for now, don't ask why). I'm building a flash file that needs to go through a CSV file, (comma separated values, output from Excel) and php seems to be the ticket there. Is there a way to tell flash to call a php page that'll go through the csv file and return the values to the flash file?

Please?

Xeef
08-15-2005, 02:50 PM
simply use loadVars

BUT whit loadVars and any other way you can load STRINGS and nothing else
eg. NO array

there for you also coud do the work straight in flash

P.S amfphp is capable of sending arrays as log i have heard (never seen or have use it)

beau
08-15-2005, 02:59 PM
trying to minimalize the download. We're talking about a big CSV file. Better to keep the work on the server, not on the browser.

Xeef
08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
it's depends on :p

if you have a large file wich you can make easy (CPU UNintens) smal then yeh
(saving bandwidth)

if you have a large file wich you can make smal BUT hight on CPU Hmmmm mayby
depends how many clients are conected at the same time (mayby beter to do it client side)

if you have a large file wich size stay more or less the same after the PHP callculation
it's beter to do it client side (you not save bandwidth but killing mayby the servers CPU)

beau
08-16-2005, 01:57 PM
We're talking about millions of hits every day. weather.com. The servers are built to handle crazy amounts of calculations, I think. Also, we're limited to a 30k total download, so I'm faced with keeping the final file tiny.

Does anybody have a clue?

Xeef
08-16-2005, 02:48 PM
you coud try to switch on server side compresing (didn't experiment whit it till now so no real idea)
if you wana make a graph in flash make it server side pictures are usualy well compresed (it's not the same as the abowe "server side compresing")