PDA

View Full Version : textArea scolling

Cowgirl32
09-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Hey everybody. I am trying to use the textArea components in my swf site. I want to enter in html to these textAreas. when I do it i get errors:
**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 1: String literal was not properly terminated
education.text ="<b>Education</br>

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 2: Expected a field name after '.' operator.
<P>Ph.D., Computer Science, University of California, Los Angeles, 1976<BR>

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 3: Expected a field name after '.' operator.
M.B.A., Business Administration, University of Southern California, 1970<BR>

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 4: Expected a field name after '.' operator.
B.A., Mathematics, University of Utah, 1968<BR></P>";

Total ActionScript Errors: 4 Reported Errors: 4

I am not really sure what i am doing wrong. Can anyone help..... :eek:

Ruben
09-13-2005, 09:07 PM
You can't devide one string over multiple lines, this is the correct way:education.text ="<b>Education</br><P>Ph.D., Computer Science, University of California, Los Angeles, 1976<BR>M.B.A., Business Administration, University of Southern California, 1970<BR>B.A., Mathematics, University of Utah, 1968<BR></P>";

- Ruben

Cowgirl32
09-13-2005, 09:15 PM
after I posted my thread, i went back and typed in exactly that way. I am still getting errors. here they are.

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 1: String literal was not properly terminated
var testString:String = "<b>Education</br>

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 2: Expected a field name after '.' operator.

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 3: Expected a field name after '.' operator.

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 4: Expected a field name after '.' operator.
B.A., Mathematics, University of Utah, 1968<BR></P>"

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=actions, frame=1:Line 1: Type mismatch in assignment statement: found Boolean where String is required.
var testString:String = "<b>Education</br>

Total ActionScript Errors: 5 Reported Errors: 5

am i missing a tag or something???

Ruben
09-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Could you post the piece of script in which you think things go wrong? Right now I'm just guessing while looking at the error-log, which clearly isn't working ;)

:cool: - Ruben

PS. Don't forget to use the [as]-tags when posting your script

Cowgirl32
09-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Here ya go, I quess that would help you.. :rolleyes:

education.text = "<b>Education</br>
B.A., Mathematics, University of Utah, 1968<BR></P>";

this is what i have. I am new to components, so i am sure that I am missing something.

Ruben
09-13-2005, 09:33 PM
You just don't listen, do you?

A. I told you not to forget to format your code with as-tags, which you didn't
B. I told you to put your code on one line, and you didn't... what's wrong with you?

:confused: - Ruben

You can't devide one string over multiple lines, this is the correct way:education.text ="<b>Education</br><P>Ph.D., Computer Science, University of California, Los Angeles, 1976<BR>M.B.A., Business Administration, University of Southern California, 1970<BR>B.A., Mathematics, University of Utah, 1968<BR></P>";PS. Don't forget to use the [as]-tags when posting your script

Cowgirl32
09-13-2005, 09:39 PM
ok smartie.....

i have done that and i dont have any errors. But the the text doesnt show up when I publish it.............

Cowgirl32
09-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Never Mind.......... I got it.

Ruben
09-13-2005, 10:08 PM
ok smartie.....

i have done that and i dont have any errors. But the the text doesnt show up when I publish it.............Yeah, so if there are no errors left anymore then that is one problem solved isn't it? Anyways, glad you got your problem solved.

- Ruben