PDA

View Full Version : Smooth images in Flash 8

badasspuppy
10-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Macromedia took away the "BEST" quality setting that made rotated and scaled images smooth.

I found a workaround and made a simple to use function so the rest of you guys don't spend as much time as I did banging your heads against the wall for this:

smoothImageLoad function (http://www.frontend-multimedia.com/smoothImageLoader/)

Hope it comes in handy

Grant B
10-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Good job. Interesting stuff. I need to check it out and learn how it's done.

Thumbs up!

madgett
10-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Not sure why your images are doing that, I haven't had this issue with Flash 8 even when loading in progressive jpgs. What images are you using? Also, I'd like to experiment more with this would you mind zipping up an example? Thanks, and smart workaround :)

badasspuppy
10-11-2005, 09:40 PM
this happens when you scale or rotate an image after loading. Check out the link, I have an example there that compares the result of a normal loadMovie against my function.

If you don't touch the image's scale and rotation after you load it you don't need this.

madgett
10-12-2005, 12:13 AM
I took a look and did reproduce the problem, before I was using larger square images with darker backgrounds and didn't see any pixelation, I threw in the small bot image from the site and yep saw it happening. In the Flash Docs: (BitmapData class) This class lets you separate bitmap rendering operations from the Flash Player internal display updating routines. Apparently they did this because it's more efficient and less on the taxing of the CPU. You can also use the _quality property of the MovieClip class along with this and specifiy "LOW", "MEDIUM", "HIGH", and "BEST" on a per-movieclip basis. <- I've been wanting and efficient way of doing that for a long time :). Thanks badasspuppy for this good stuff!

Headshotz
10-12-2005, 08:00 AM
All good :)

randomlines
09-15-2007, 01:34 PM
this works beautifully and it's something that's hassled me for ages.
i recently had some trouble with it however: on my machine it works fine. but online it shows images as only white!
i can't understand it because i've used it online before for another site on the same server. and it works both in flash and in a browser when the file is on my local machine. whats more the images i'm accessing are absolute urls so they're always the same locations as well...
any ideas?

randomlines
09-15-2007, 01:56 PM
found my problem... cross domain security issues...
do you know a work around to this?

cardiel
11-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi there,

I'm suffering the same white image issue that randomlines had. It may also be the "cross domain security issue" that you mention as my Primary site is parked through an A Record redirect.

Has anyone had any luck with this issue?

Really appreciate any help!

Thanks