PDA

View Full Version : flash 8 ain't nothin special...

arpace
10-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Does anyone else, other than myself, feel that the flash 8 release is nothing special? The new features aren't that great, and a little buggy at best.

I wish they would allow complete pixel control, so I could start creating facial recognition, movement games, or biometric programs with flash. (one can dream) I am stuck doing it with c++ for now.

senocular
10-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Flash 8 has pixel control - how much more complete are you looking for? Lets not forget that Flash is developed to be a LIGHT web pluggin. Its amazing its as feature rich as it is.

jrk_productions
10-12-2005, 01:02 AM
is it true that it's got a ftp upload feature? And has the flash-player detection been completely solwed? (I mean is it built in etc?)..

Sorry if this is old news and wrong place to post, but Im very curious and lately I've been busy learning other coding languages and platforms than flash.. I might be interested in flash 8 though simply for it's speed-improovements.

Headshotz
10-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Flash 8 has pixel control - how much more complete are you looking for? Lets not forget that Flash is developed to be a LIGHT web pluggin. Its amazing its as feature rich as it is.

Yeah! :p

I like flash 8, I don't develope big games in it though, only small-med
(playtime 30min 5Hours). If you wan't to make big games use some
Indie game engine like Torque and learn C++.

Flash 8 is fun, now don't make me think I wasted my money.

Amn
10-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Doesnt Flash 8 HAVE pixel control ?!

I thought thats exactly among things it did ?

sneeuwitje
10-14-2005, 12:49 AM
if you really want an educated opnion on Flash; checkout moock's blog (http://www.moock.org/blog/archives/000172.html).
I think Flash8 is gr8 ... even though ...
- they teamed up with adobe (and thus dropped Freehand out off the Studio ...) ...
- it's mostly a bugfix-release ... *but boy, did it need fixing, and did they fix it good ... (engine)*
- I use a Mac, and OSX still sucks a little bit worse than Flash7 ... MM at least tried to make Flash8 run properly on it!
- The new security protocol feels like beating around the bush even more than the old one ...

... we got:
file-upload,
pixel-control,
beautiful FLV-exporter (+batch!),
new engine,
better palm-support,
streaming bug fixed (or's that OSX?)
and more ...

*I think I maybe should go to work at sales@MM?*

Really, I'm a happy man, but why can't I just open&save 7-docs as 7-docs? stupid to have to use 'save as' ... should be the other way around 7->8 == 'save as' ...

CyanBlue
10-14-2005, 12:54 AM
F8 looks good and great, but I only wish MM has introduced F7 + F8 as one product rather than two products... Oh well... Maybe that's the reason why I am still at work at 9PM, right??? :D

sneeuwitje
10-14-2005, 12:58 AM
returning customer: *hmm ... what happened to the quick-reply???*

haha 9pm ... sissy!

Headshotz
10-16-2005, 01:23 AM
Maybe that's the reason why I am still at work at 9PM, right??? :D

Hehe,

How do I save my workspace again?

BirdintheCity
01-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Well, as a user who implemented a site completely based upon their new codec for video, I have to disagree!

The new video features alone made Flash 8 worthwhile for me.

Check out the menu system (it looks like a vending machine) on my website. (http://www.birdinthecity.com)

Cheers,
Brian

billingsgate
01-13-2006, 12:16 AM
I like Flash 8. The UI is far superior to Flash MX 2004, for designers at least. It looks nicer, is easier to use, loads faster, has a much more ergonomic interface. It also has some useful new design tools, the drawing tools are much improved, the complete revamp of how strokes are handled is a gift to designers, and the new video features finally take Flash over the top as far and away the best platform for presenting video online.

Ironically, as a designer you'd think I'd be happy with the return of "normal mode" (now "Script Assist") in the Actions panel. But so far I find it completely useless, which I never would have said about the Flash 5 and MX "normal mode". Maybe I've just matured as a scripter.

I am disappointed, though, at the existence of some new and glaring bugs in the user interface that were not there in Flash 7 or earlier. And I am shocked that nobody noticed these bugs in their much-touted "most beta-tested release ever". They obviously didn't include anyone who came close to being a "normal" user among their beta testers. Bugs include problems with the colour pallettes, the docking window sizes, the location of playback controls, and other things. There are also a few bluntly obvious bugs associated with masking that I'm surprised no one caught.

If they ever get around to releasing a patch and fixing these, I would rate Flash 8 as a 300-percent improvement over Flash MX 2004!