PDA

View Full Version : FlashType shifts on movie resize

mgomez03
10-16-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure if this has been brought up anywhere before, but has anyone noticed that the placement of your type shifts whenever your movie is resized depending on whether you use anti-alias for animation or readability in relation to zoom size? This is not quite the same problem addressed in Macromedia TechNote 69e25404 since that issue dealt with discrepancies between version 7 and 8 of the players; my problem is with version 8 alone. For example...

1. Create a new document and type any word.
2. Set the word to 'anti-alias for animation' then zoom all the way into that word (2000%).
3. Place a shape flush against the baseline (bottom of the word) leaving no pixels inbetween.
4. Zoom out to 100% and pay attention to the placement of the word in relation to the shape.
5. Now here's where things go amuck--set the word to 'anti-alias for readability and notice how the word shifts up and away from the shape, leaving a pixel or two of space inbetween them now.

So, in other words, if you anti-alias for animation, your type stays put in the same exact location (to the pixel!) no matter what size your .swf gets resized to. On the other hand, if you anti-alias for readability, what may look precise at 2000% gets shifted as your .swf gets resized. This shifting appears in both the authoring environment and the finished published movie and I even made sure the font was placed on a precisely even pixel but it still would shift. Here's a makeshift diagram I quickly made: http://xs50.xs.to/pics/05416/flashtype.jpg

I know some people may say i'm nit-picking but I come from a print background where every millimeter of a page is scrutinized so these things can be a little troublesome in my line of work.

senocular
10-16-2005, 11:17 PM
its "should" be a known issue. I know myself and some panel developers (some working at macromedia) have experienced this before. I can only imagine its been noted. Nevertheless, it wouldnt hurt to report it.

http://www.macromedia.com/go/wish/

mgomez03
10-17-2005, 03:31 AM
ah, okay, thanks for the link, it's been reported. glad i'm not the only one noticing this. :)

Grant B
10-18-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure if this is related but I have noticed a slight challenge when creating a button with filters that tween. For example drawing a cirlce in flash and adding a bevel, then a tweening drop shadow to make the button look like it's being pressed down etc.

It looks good but having text on the button resize consistently and smoothly to compliment the button is slightly out and a little tricky to pull off. It is a careful balance to make the text look like part of the button and not look like it is floating in a slightly different gravity above, on button press etc.

It's all good though cos I love Flash more than any normal person should. :o