PDA

View Full Version : rollover button with image appearing elsewhere?

shaneob
03-10-2001, 12:01 AM
hey there,
I have a question that may or may not have an easy answer... I have created a mask layer with several layers underneath it that are fading in and out of each other, I put an invisible button around the mask window so it can be a link to a gallery of images... what i want to do now is, when the mouse rolls over the invisible button (the mask window) a text box appears above it, describing what is in there if the user should click on it. how do i go about this? Also, the button is working on the Stage, but not when I test the movie, is there some debugging that I have to do to make it work in Flash Player?
Thank you anyone, i am in need of help...
OB

Jesse
03-10-2001, 02:24 AM
If you create a new MC (Ctrl F8) and into that put the text you wish to display. Then drag a copy onto the stage where you want it to show up and give it an instance name like 'description'.

Then int he first frame of your movie have:
_root.description._visible = false;

And on your button have:
on (rollOver) {
_root.description._visible = true;
}
on (release, releaseOutside, rollOut, dragOut) {
_root.description._visible = false;
}

That shuold make your description clip hide until the button is moused over, then appear.

Cheers

Jesse

shaneob
03-12-2001, 09:47 PM
do you know why this is not working?... I followed Jesse's instructions exactly, applying the frame action "_root.description._visible = false;" in the first frame of the movie and when that didn't work, in the first frame of the movie clip. I typed it in in the expert mode of the actions frame because i didn't know if there was that option under the catagories in the normal mode... why is the text I want to hid not being hidden? Any ideas...
thanks
s.o.

shaneob
03-12-2001, 10:32 PM
hi again,
I think I figured it out... I used the action setProperty in the first frame of my movie and again over the buttons to turn the visibility to 0 and 100 respectively for the mouse over and off.... if there is an easier or mmore effective way to do it, let me know.
thanks,
s.o.