PDA

View Full Version : Link Flash projector to EPS files?

Parker
02-02-2002, 06:35 AM
Hi everyone,

Gotta love google... that's how I found this board and so glad that I did.

I'm developing a CD-Rom that will have both the Mac and PC Projector files (cross-platform) and a folder containing other assets - PDFs and EPS files. The Flash interface, ideally, would allow the user to download the EPS of their choice from the CD to their desktop. Is this possible? If so, what command do I use in Flash? I know with a PDF you can use the getURL, but this is an EPS that can't be opened in a browser.

The EPS file doesn't need to be opened from the application. Just downloaded from the CD to the user's desktop. Is this possible and what's the script?

Thanks,

Parker

Jesse
02-02-2002, 07:53 AM
Welcome. Since EPS isn't registerred to be viewed via the browser, GetURL should bring up the download prompt... doesn't it? What about if you use geturl and make the target window "_blank"?

Parker
02-02-2002, 04:56 PM
Hi Jesse. Thanks for the tip. I can't believe I overlooked the _blank window. :rolleyes: This works for downloading word docs and jpegs. For EPS, it will try and download the file in Netscape 4.7 (mac) since it doesn't recognize it, but Explorer 5.0 (mac) gives me an "unhandled file type" error message and won't allow me to save the file. It forces you to find the application.

Is there a work around for this? I haven't tested this on a PC, so I don't know if getURL has the same issues with EPS.

Parker

Jesse
02-04-2002, 05:25 AM
The next best thing I can suggest is using a PHP or ASP file to send the header and force downloading of the file. See http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.header.php and related