PDA

View Full Version : Site finished

feynman
12-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi,

with good help from these forums, too, I've got this site finally finished: http://www.designkoop.org/

I'd like to get your opinion and also like to check:

- Does the preloader kick in on slow connections?
- Does it all load?
- Is the click-sound audible?
- Are the pixelfonts showing?

Thanks!

peter5
12-04-2005, 09:13 PM
My thoughts.

I like the colors, and the shape of the site, that is nice to look at.

1) The warning (ie need flash and java) will confuse all but the advanced users. Even I have no idea what plug-ins I have. It worked so I must have installed Java.

2) You say no pop-ups, but the first things that happened is that a new window popped open when I clicked on 'Enter', a bit much clutter for my liking, now I have two windows open for your site. It annoys me.

3)First I tried clicking on your men, very animated by the way, but I clicked ont hem and nothing seemed to be happening, finally I noticed the browser window was transferring data, so I am assuming that something is happening. I can't be sure though, and I actually gave up waiting after a minute.

4) I clicked on the first link "Underwater", it loaded quite quickly, the preloader was great, but it sat flashing "loading images" at me for about a minute, I was unsure if it actually was loading images or something was just broken so I gave up and tried another link.

5) Seems to be the same on all objects pages (ie my comments in point 4)

6)Its a bit annoying to need a preloader just to read the contact information..ie as a user I would want that straight away.

All in all I really like the shape and feel of you website, I even liked the way the 'objects' menu scrolled horizontally.

feynman
12-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks a lot for your comments.

1. Was a request to be shown. So you think ommitting this is ok?
2. I was told people block automatic pop-ups. Is there a different way
to create a new fixed-size centered window?
3. The silhouettes are just an interactive gimmick; they're not linked to anything.
4. LOADING IMAGES flashes until the images are loaded. I'm working from
an analogue modem (yep, those are still around) and the load-time was quite acceptable. What
do you think is a good alternative? Another "sub" preloader?
6. All menu items trigger the loading of an external swf, that's why on slow
lines the preloader shows even on CONTACT. The reason for the external
swfs is so the contents can be changed by others (images & texts). What
would be a better way?

Flash-a-Maniac
12-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Eveythings ine according to my connection.
Good Site

peter5
12-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks a lot for your comments.

1. Was a request to be shown. So you think ommitting this is ok?
2. I was told people block automatic pop-ups. Is there a different way
to create a new fixed-size centered window?
3. The silhouettes are just an interactive gimmick; they're not linked to anything.
4. LOADING IMAGES flashes until the images are loaded. I'm working from
an analogue modem (yep, those are still around) and the load-time was quite acceptable. What
do you think is a good alternative? Another "sub" preloader?
6. All menu items trigger the loading of an external swf, that's why on slow
lines the preloader shows even on CONTACT. The reason for the external
swfs is so the contents can be changed by others (images & texts). What
would be a better way?

3. I would suggest if the silhouettes are just a gimic, then make sure they don't change into a hand (which suggests a link), or somehow make it clear that they don't lead anywhere.

4. A sub-preloader, in the same place you have the flashing "loading images" maybe just have a little preloader, it really does give the user a sense of what is going on.

feynman
12-05-2005, 08:45 PM
3. "... don't change into a hand ...". Oops, I must have missed something basic learning flash. How do you prevent the pointer from changing into a hand-icon when mousing over something? I seriously didn't even know that this is possible (how embarrassing).
4. Sub-preloader, yep, there really should be something more to see.