PDA

View Full Version : Flash Player 8 Problems???

paulapacherose
12-13-2005, 01:47 PM
We are having serious problems with some of our flash content published in flash player 8. Certain aspects of our swf's will appear in a browser, but some content will not appear at all.

I am wondering whether this has anything to do with graphics using enhanced stroke or whether this is a caching problem on individual PC's.

We have tested in multiple browsers on mac and PC and the combination seems to be completely random.

When we export or movies as player 7 there isn't any problems.

Has anybody experienced similar problems or randomness in Flash player 8, and/or what your suggestions would be?

Thanks

quincewyss
12-13-2005, 08:01 PM
I have had the same problem. Macromedia really scewed up with the auto install for Flash Player 8(FP8). You can call macromeidia and get a link directly to the flash 8 player download. The problem exists when they tell you the download is complete, but you really haven't installed FP8.

Artech
12-13-2005, 09:54 PM
I would check the flash PLAYER version of the computer you are checking it on. That may or may not help but there are many, in some cases well documented, issues where reverse compatibility will do exactly that. Display some content and not others. One WELL documented case of this is printing, PRE-MX2004 printing was very weak, and when MX2004 came out, better printing came with it. However, that would only work with browsers running Flash Player 7 and greater.

I would recommend checking the compatibility of the content you are using against the flash player you're trying to view it with. If that doesn't yield results, look carefully at any dynamic content to make sure it is pathed correctly.

Brian

quincewyss
12-14-2005, 03:55 PM
I had this exact problem with my 1st flash 8 project. It is macromedia's downloader. It has major problems giving you the newest version. Contact macromedia about the issue and request a link to the standalone flashplayer 8.

graphictart
12-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Hi all,

Right, im really ******. Im no expert in actionscript, far from it if the truth be told. We have just upgraded to studio8 great, fine, wonderful . . . . . . .NOT. If I "ctrl+return" inside flash to view my swf it works fine.

If I open the folder where the swf is and double click on it, well bugger me if it doesn't work.

Also If I export the swf with a webpage, open the html file, the swf still doesn't play.

FFS Macromedia. (sorry bout that)

Anyone any ideas, am I being a complete twat and missing something here?

Regards

John

paulapacherose
12-15-2005, 09:10 AM
This seems like the same problem we had. If I were you I would change the publisjing settings and export the movie in Flash player 7 or failing that 6. Macromedia have f****d up somwhere with the player 8 installation
Give that a try anyway and see if you get a result

Cheers

graphictart
12-15-2005, 09:18 AM
so there is basically a bug and is it common knowledge that there is a problem with flash player 8.0 r22?

Is Macromedia working on a fix?

Just when you start to get the hang of something it all goes tits up.

paulapacherose
12-15-2005, 09:46 AM
I assume they know about the problem but you will have to reinstall the player when the bug is sorted. Which is fine for people like us who make flash movies, but joe public won't know to change their players. So all flash movies that f*ck up in player 8 now will probably f*ck up until all the dodgy player 8's are reinstalled...

Until then I would just use player 7 and hope that your code works.

How did your movie work in player 7 by the way?

graphictart
12-15-2005, 10:09 AM
You were right, fantastic no problems whatsoever, however I'd taken advantage of flash8's drop shadow, text bevel, glow and blur and because of the problem with the player I've lost all the effects, bit of a bummer really. . . . . oh well.

Thanks.

John

charlieFlash
12-16-2005, 01:04 PM
I am seeing the same issue with a project that has been online for while:

http://pbskids.org/eekoworld/index_flash.html

To see the problem you need to be running v8 and click "Air & Water" nav on the bottom, then click into "Water" and wait about a minute until just after the "scuba-diving monkey"...

It works as long as you don't have v8 flash player installed. I have confirmed the problem with any browser on both Mac and PC and we are trying to design a workaround right now - because the browser crashes at the same exact point in all instances.

- charlie :confused:

Suicidal.Banana
12-16-2005, 04:35 PM
mind my french, macromedia ****ed up, its all around the web, alot of coding macromedia says the player should run fine doesnt run at all, i got a flash 8 project wich i could have finished 2 weeks ago if it wasnt for flash 8, a month and counting now
my problems are xml and dynamic text field based, the project works perfect in flash 7

graphictart
01-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Hi all, well I hope you all had a good break and all that. I know I needed it.
Does anyone know if those lovely people at macromedia, oops, I mean Adobe, have come up with a solution, workaround etc . . . . ?

I have spent a bit of time going through the web, trying to find out more about this problem. I cant seem to find too much about it.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

I would like to hear what experience jessie has had with studio8.

outlando
01-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Sorry to report, I've not had a single problem with Studio 8 or Flash Player 8; I run them both on two different PCs and they both run perfectly...

:confused:

graphictart
01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
OK, now if I remember right, when we designed swf's in flash player 7 and clients or people browsed the swf with an older player, ie: version6. Did flash recognise this and upgrade the player automatically?

I honestly cant remember.:confused:

So if I want to take advantage of flash8's new drop shadows, bevels and live text effects, how can I ensure that people with swf player 7 or less will be prompted to upgrade automatically when on my site???

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Regards

John

quincewyss
01-06-2006, 05:51 PM
to make sure that they will be update automatically, set it in your publish settings under HTML. The problem occurs once a person goes to macromedia. Macromedia won't always install the correct player due to windows sp2 issues(accoring to the macromedia sales pro I spoke to.). You can get a link to flash player 8 standalone installer if you contact them. the standalone installer will work for those who weren't correctly updated.

Although this is a fix, I really wish macromedia(adobe) would just get their auto installers to install properly.