PDA

View Full Version : Is Flash 8 Worth It?

CPA050507
12-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Ahoy,

Just curious. Is upgrading to Flash 8 really worth it?

I'm tempted to shell out the $399 for the upgrade offer, but part of me just wants to wait for Flash 9 to come out, since I heard that they might upgrade to AS 3.0.

Thanks,

cpa

Flash Gordon
12-28-2005, 10:38 PM
no. not much penitration for the flash 8 player yet.

senocular
12-29-2005, 01:20 AM
The adoptoion of AS3 will be just as long at which point you might find yourself waiting for Flash 10... and then Flash 11. When do you throw in the towel?

Rossman
12-29-2005, 01:43 AM
Flash 8 has some great new features, to me - I'd say it's worth it. The pricing is ridiculous, but it's always good to have a legit version ;)

theDude78
12-29-2005, 02:05 AM
I say its worth it, my company bought mine so it was a no brainer for me

I'd do it just to have the one before they start adobe'fying them all and we all learn to dislike the studio8.

J_Miller
12-29-2005, 03:05 AM
I agree that it is worth it, and I also agree with senocular that the cycle of waiting the for the best time could go on forever and ever. As for the penitration of the Flash 8 player.....just based on what im seeing at my workplace, there are some major projects in the works that are going with Flash 8. With large companies/projects signing on to Flash 8, the penitration of the Flash 8 player is probably going to happen quicker then any previous release of the player.

Headshotz
12-29-2005, 05:23 AM
I would say yes, definately if you are upgrading from MX, MX2004 you can hold out a little longer ;)

CPA050507
12-29-2005, 02:17 PM
I've got FMX 2004 Pro.

I've heard several good things about F8 from many sources, but nothing quite compelling enough to switch. If they come out with F9 in 2007, AS3 or not, I might just save a little and wait till then to upgrade.

Maybe spend the money on a Swift3D package instead, for now.

Thanks for the insights.

CyanBlue
12-29-2005, 03:41 PM
I think that's totally up to you... I'd say go download the trial and see if you like it or not... If you find a feature that's worth $399, go upgrade... If not, don't... As simple as that... You always have a market if your client is willing to go extra mile if they want the feature... :)

CPA050507
12-29-2005, 03:48 PM
I did download it and fool around with it a little bit. The text rendering, the bitmap caching, and the new setTimeOut feature (which pleased Sepiroth) - all great stuff.

I felt like the new icons and interface were a little uglier - superficial stuff.

I'm just going to kick myself if I buy this and they come out with F9 late next summer.

sophistikat
12-29-2005, 04:21 PM
I think it's more important to know what you're planning to do with it?

I'm developing slot machine game for a company where the program will run on an actually machine thats connects to a server; in this case i'm using flash 8 for its new features and there is only one computer that needs to have the new player and that's the machine.

But I'm also developing the same games that will be played online through the users browser, here flash 8 won't work for me, the client and more importantly the users, in this case i'm using MX2004 Pro and exporting for v6+

CPA050507
12-29-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm not even a novice, yet. I'm barely an apprentice to a novice.

You wouldn't happen to be using screens in F8, would you, Soph?

sophistikat
12-29-2005, 06:15 PM
most, maybe all, advanced/expert actionscript programmer i know don't use scenes but it doesn't mean they're useless. if you're planning to use scenes you'll save yourself a lot of headaches if you put a frame label on the first frame of each scene. porque?

the issue with scenes is that flash has never perfected the gotoAndPlay("scene1", "someFrameLabel"); within a movieclip inside another scene inside a button inside something else etc. etc. the point is that if you're new or fairly new to flash you can use scenes but don't bother calling the scene instead call a frame label inside that scene; _root.gotoAndPlay("scene1"); will do the trick will allow you to move from scene to scene without a glich

CPA050507
12-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Soph.

I've heard that from a number of people. Surprised they haven't nailed it down in F8. I thought scenes would be useful for a "point and click" kind of adventure game, like some of the "Mr. Man" stuff.

Actually, I'm trying to put together a program kind of like the House program in the book, FMX PRO 2004 Application Development.

It' relies heavily on screens and I was wondering if you were using them in your development.

senocular
12-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Keep in mind "screens" are not the same as "scenes"

Also, Flash 8 might be good for novice actionscripters since they bring back "Normal Mode" for the Actions panel (now called Script Assist)

sophistikat
12-29-2005, 06:28 PM
i'm surrounded by oracle, java, c++ etc. programmers who only program in one frame so i took it upon myself to only develop these games in one frame; if i put together something like a presentation for a client i'd probably use scenes so its easy for them to update. as long as you make good use of frame labels you'll be fine in any project u do.
EDIT: in any version of flash

Dolfy
01-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Many of our projects require video. The video encoder built into Flash MX2004 pro produced very low quality files, so we upgraded the "Sorenson Squeeze" at I believe $99. Still, the video was not as pristine so Sorenson recommended the On2 VP6 upgrade ($199). So now you are looking at $300 to incorporate high quality FLV into a project. Flash 8 comes with the On2VP6 encoder, and the built in skins for the FLV playback are pretty sharp. Additionally, much of the scripting is taken care of when using the media components. If your projects require much video, I think the upgrade is a good idea. Also, the text features are far better if you are using small fonts, i.e. anything under 14 pt. MX2004 sucked in this regard. Much better in Flash 8.

Dolph
www.nichestuff.com

Suchy
01-08-2006, 01:40 AM
Yeah Flash 8 is worth it, if money is tight I would suggest getting the educational versions, which sells for alot less.

CyanBlue
01-08-2006, 05:50 PM
if money is tight I would suggest getting the educational versions
Don't you need to pay for the tuition to go to school to get the educational version??? Is there any school that issues you a school ID for free??? :confused:

Headshotz
01-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Unless you are still in school/uni

billingsgate
01-09-2006, 05:24 AM
Don't you need to pay for the tuition to go to school to get the educational version??? Is there any school that issues you a school ID for free??? :confused:

I'll be happy to forward you several of the spam emails I get each day offering instant PhDs for a price. Between the time they process your credit card info and the time that your Timbuktu Polytechnic degree arrives in the mail, you are officially a student. So you get a new degree and a student discount on Flash 8 all rolled into one. Such a deal!

Headshotz
01-10-2006, 07:22 AM
lmao, sure, like there isnt enough spam already ;)

Navarone
01-10-2006, 06:47 PM
for those who are interested I came across this comparison chart of Flash 8 and Flash MX 2004

http://www.macromedia.com/store/en_us/popup/software/flash/comparison.html

CPA050507
01-10-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm still going to hold out until I get more miles out of my FMX 2004 Pro.

But a lot of that stuff really looks good.

Let's hope Adobe doesn't #$@! it up.

:p

Thanks for the post.

Headshotz
01-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Ah, the F8 life is good :p

Suchy
01-13-2006, 04:27 AM

Well you can get the educational version in almost any store, ex J&R in NYC. But you can always go into your local campus bookstore and get a copy, no questions asked.

In almost all campuses a ID is not required.

fugitive123
01-13-2006, 04:55 AM
I completely skipped FlashMX2004 and straight away jumped to Flash8 while still doing projects for FlashMX. Life is much better in Flash8 but the number of users installing Flash Player8 in their Macs/Pcs still long way to go.