PDA

View Full Version : what do you think?

daperson
01-21-2006, 08:15 PM
hi, here is my currently unfinshed, first ever flash creation.
its the beginnings of a potentially rather good game (well, i think so anyway :P) where basicially you control a spaceship and have to shoot your way through the levels destroying any enemys that try to stop you, between each level you will be able to buy upgrades for your ship and other holdable items n stuff.....
its nowhere near finished, but at the moment you can die, you can shoot the one enemy there is, you can move around and thats about it, there r some other unfinished functions that dont work properly enough foir me to bother enabling.....
oh yeh, and the preloade may require you to right click and play when it finishes....
oh yeh, and the file size is about 3 meg (mainly cos of the music....)
but there is a loading bar..... i think.....
game (http://www.stupidflash.co.uk/moohahahabackup.html)
if the pre-loader doesn twork there, u could try this link...
game (http://www.stupidflash.co.uk/moohahahabackup.swf)

anyway, before you start saying stuff like "thats crap" and so on, please bear in mind ive only been doing flash for about 8 months, ive never had a proper lesson on how to do flash, ive taught myself completly, and also bear in mind the fact that im a 13 year old, and only just a 13 year old, my brithday was last week :D

daperson
01-22-2006, 01:59 PM
ahh cmon, please can u gimme some feedback?

Vash
01-22-2006, 10:04 PM
The instructions are completely missing
I have no idea how to shoot
Theres weird numbers all over
I am also 13 and I am still learning flash.... anyways, it seems good but kinda confusing

daperson
01-23-2006, 11:54 AM
its not finished, press X to shoot :P

daperson
01-24-2006, 11:15 AM
update:

www.stupidflash.co.uk/ship.html

random numbers gone, music improved, bugs fixed
btw, the mouse trailer i pinched from the challenges areaon this forum, yell if you want me to take it ooff :D

Vash
01-25-2006, 02:40 AM
there's a weird bug
if ammo goes to zero the ship wont move for awhile. maybe thats intentional but also the area from which ammo is emitted moves a few pixels to the left. its quite noticable. also you could prolly use getBytesLoaded and getBytesTotal to make a better preloader. the one right now is real weird. doing good tho. howd you manage to get it copyrighted at your age?

Edit: also, I was wondering about a firing technique.

daperson
01-25-2006, 11:50 AM
the "ammo" is supposed to be ur shops energy supply, the starting engine doesnt burn any more energy than is being replenished, therefore your dont notice energy dropping when u move, but although it does require the energy, logicially i made it so ur ship cant move until energy variable gets back up to 1, however, as the game rpogresses you will be able to purchase beter engines which may drain the power from ur ship faster, so what do u do? u buy a new energy source, all this kinda strategy type stuff will be implemented with the shop system when thats finished

btw, the copywright is legal :D

Vash
01-27-2006, 05:36 AM
geez... was that expensive? You still havent explained the bug where your "shop's energy supply" reaches zero and how after that the registration point from where the ammo fires moves.:confused:

daperson
01-27-2006, 09:47 AM
its ok, im fixing them all, i understand the cause,justbe patient :D
the link is, and now always will be
www.stupidflash.co.uk/ship.html
btw, "shops energy supply" was a typo, it was meant to be "ships energy supply :D"

goliatone
01-27-2006, 10:21 AM
nice work! the game is a bit slow but still, nice.

Vash
01-27-2006, 06:17 PM
still, how the heck did you get a copyright? and the game's coming well too. is that website your's too?

cghughes
01-27-2006, 08:55 PM
"Copyright" actually begins as soon as you create something and place it into a tangible form. In this case, a flash file on a hard-drive. Once that criteria is met, you can basically say that anything is copyright. As long as the flash code and none of the artwork were created by somebody else, he has full ownership of it, and he has the absolute right to claim that it is "copyright." You don't need to register a product to consider it copyrighted. If somebody copied him and he wanted to sue them for MONEY, however, he wouldn't be able to do that unless he registered his flash movie with the US Copyright Office (or wherever he/she lives). I highly doubt the game is actually registered at the exorbitant prices of the Copyright Office--so at this point the "copyright" notice is more of a "hey, I made this" notice.

I'm quite impressed considering the 13 year-old! I wish I could code like that when I was 13. I want to give you a head's up though, daperson, that if you're gonna stick with your "copyright" claim, you need to "disown" copyright of the song you ripped from the Matrix soundtrack (or the Honda commercial if you prefer that :-)

Placing a copyrighted song on your website and claiming copyright of the content could actually get you in some trouble. Claiming copyright insinuates that you know copyright law, so you'll need to give credits of the song and the artist somewhere small on your page and then claim it as a student non-profit project. Just looking out for ya li'l buddy :-)

drexle
01-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Yes, I have to say that I wish I had the opportunity and encouragement when I was 13 to get *really* into this sort of thing instead of people telling me that I have a math learning disability my whole life.

You should perhaps look into some of robert penner's easing equations. I love those things to death, and if you haven't seen them, then you should.

Why is headshotz' mouse toy in there? You might not want to claim copyright on that either.

goliatone
01-28-2006, 11:28 AM
ou need to "disown" copyright of the song you ripped from the Matrix soundtrack (or the Honda commercial if you prefer that :-)
hehehehe, that hit me hard too...i took me a bit of time to figure out where was that song from.

daperson
01-29-2006, 11:27 AM
ill just use a diffrent song then :P
one from the newgrounds poortal, where its legal to claim ownership of it :D
btw, is it ok if i just put in my credits page summit like...

"i dont claim ownership of this this and this..."

daperson
01-29-2006, 04:18 PM
sorry for the double post, but im getting mega time confused about trig+flash for the physics for my escape pod, below r the links to downlaod the fla, or to view the swf of the pod test system, the yellow number displays the "angle" variable defined in the script on the pod movieclip (the white line comin out of da "pod" points where is meant to be going :P(graphics update to follow....(when i get round to it (lol)))

www.stupidflash.co.uk/pod.swf

www.stupidflash.co.uk/pod.fla

what i need is for the code on the movieclip of the pod to make the pod rotate when u press left and right arrows (like it already does) and move foward at a speed defined by the pspeed variable.

goliatone
01-29-2006, 04:52 PM
quick thougth...why dont you brake it down in two movie clips, one that handles your foward/backward movement, and an other one with the rotation...make sense?

daperson
01-29-2006, 06:16 PM
i dont uderstandm, ive tried loads of stuff, its the actual script im stuck on, can u edit the fla there and send a working version pls?

daperson
02-01-2006, 08:16 PM
ok sorted,. check it out now! entire physicsd engine rejigged with the help of Xeef