PDA

View Full Version : Would a script help with Flash position?

Angela
03-15-2001, 02:25 AM
I have a nav dhtml that has a drop down menu. Beside this menu is a small Flash movie. Whenever the drop down menu displays, it shows up BEHIND the movie. I can not move the movie without redoing the site design. Can anyone tell me how to get the submenu display to appear ON TOP of the Flash movie?

I really need help here. Thanks to all that offer some, any advice.

drZoode
03-15-2001, 03:02 AM
Can you give us a link to that page? Or can you post the HTML/JavaScript code?
Generally speaking, you can solve these problems by using the z-index (stacking order-CSS).

Angela
03-15-2001, 08:06 AM
I finally got a response from someone who said that Geocities has the same problem and they haven't been able to fix it. Seems Flash movies are always on top and no one knows anyway to position them so that they become the background or at least the "bottom layer". Z-layers just don't work. Nothing seems to work.

Macromedia has nothing of value on the subject. But I did manage to find a lot of technical jargon that hinted at the solution but I don't want to spend the next month learning how to program in C++!

Thanks for responding. Maybe someone will find the solution and post it here in the forum.

Strok
03-15-2001, 12:28 PM
Macromedia.com had a javascript pop-up menu on website. And now it's gone , because they didn't find a solution !!!!

edeveloper
03-15-2001, 06:48 PM
i think that the problem lies in that you can't give a plugin an index value(even in a div tag). its always gonna be on top. what you can do is incorporate a javascript event that sets the visibility of a div(holding a swf file) to 0 when using the dropdown. its pretty much a duct tape solution, but it works.

Strok
03-15-2001, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by edeveloper
i think that the problem lies in that you can't give a plugin an index value(even in a div tag). its always gonna be on top. what you can do is incorporate a javascript event that sets the visibility of a div(holding a swf file) to 0 when using the dropdown. its pretty much a duct tape solution, but it works.

Hi edeveloper
Do you have an example? I think I just missing some small part of it.

Hi drZoode
You can't solve these problems by using the z-index !!!

edeveloper
03-16-2001, 02:47 AM
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0">
<TITLE></TITLE>
<script language="JavaScript">
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
function show(object) {
if (document.layers && document.layers[object] != null)
document.layers[object].visibility = 'visible';
else if (document.all)
document.all[object].style.visibility = 'visible';
}
function hide(object) {
if (document.layers && document.layers[object] != null)
document.layers[object].visibility = 'hidden';
else if (document.all)
document.all[object].style.visibility = 'hidden';
}
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//-->
</script>
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
<!--
.daPosition {
position: relative;
visibility: show;
}
//-->
</STYLE>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

</head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

<A HREF="#" onMouseover="hide('swf')"
onMouseout="show('swf')">Move mouse pointer over this link text</A>
<DIV ID="swf" CLASS="daPosition">
<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0"
WIDTH=550 HEIGHT=400 id=movie>
<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="edev.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#FFFFFF> <EMBED src="edev.swf" name=movie swLiveConnect="True" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH=550 HEIGHT=400 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED>
</OBJECT>
</DIV>
</body>
</html>

drZoode
03-16-2001, 04:05 AM
Hi everybody,

In IE 5.5 the Flash Player (ver5-r42 and above) can be implemented as a behavior (MMFLASH). (Normally it is implemented as an Active-X control in IE)
When the Flash movie is implemented as a behavior it can be stacked below or above any other HTML element. (For example, you can have a Flash movie playing in the background and your text can be rendered above it) Flash behaviors can be controlled by the IE 5.5 DOM methods.
You can place an MMFLASH behavior within the BODY of your HTML and by using the stacking attribute you can specify a z-level for the Flash movie.

For more info and examples please go to Macromedia Flash Support page and type "stacking" or "z-level" in the Search box.

Unfortunately this is a browser specific solution.