PDA

View Full Version : graphics question

Guy
03-15-2001, 01:20 PM
Doing a recruitment video for a large company, they wanted to animate an introduction via Flash. Simple enough project however, their design staff insists on making the original movie at 600x800 pixels. They also insist on haveing all of these large jps fade in an out throughout the movie. Even after some creative tweeking, the jpg file sizes were still, in my opinion, way too big (most over 60k). There is sound and stuff too. The movie will play on a standalone player off of a CD and it will size to the screen.

So the problem is, on a 14 inch screen, tweening is fairly good, on a 17" eeeek and a 19"? Forget about it. I know I am at the mercy of the video cards in the users computer but is there a better way (Actionscripting??) to do basic alpha tweening with large bitmap files that won't turn a smooth presentation into a trainwreck?

Thanks in advance.

Jesse
03-16-2001, 04:25 AM
With stuff like ALpah tweens, Flash just defines the beginning and end points and the computer generates the outcomes between. So doing it by Actionscript would be exactly the same really.
ActionScript is generally only used in tweening when it needs to be dynamic.

I've been fiddling with an 800x600 JPG here though (lots of colors and content) and I can get it down to about 35kB using Photoshop, without it looking like a dog's dinner.
Perhaps look in to further optimizing your graphics, as every KB counts.

However reducing the file size prolly wont make your animation any smoother...

Cheers

Jesse

Guy
03-16-2001, 02:16 PM
Thanks a million for the input. I can definitely get the Kb down but I have the corporate handcuffs on and their design people won't let me optimize any further. Good to know about the video cards generating all the imagery though, it will certainly help me to rethink tweening.

Can't thank you enough for a fantastic resource you have here Jesse. I may actually learn Actionscript yet with this sites help!!