PDA

View Full Version : AS for key press

cgustin
02-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Hello all...
I am creating a presentation out of flash, and I need to set this up like a next slide type of thing, and I don't want to add a button to attach an action to tell it to go to a new swf file, wondering how I can program it so someone can sit at the computer and just hit the left and right arrow keys to advance the "slide?"

Thanks much!

Cota
02-20-2006, 10:23 PM
If you search the forums you will find some good results, here are a few
http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=96795
http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=90902

cgustin
02-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks. I was messing around and I got this to work--

on(keyPress "<Right>"){
gotoAndPlay('underwriting');
}

But how do I make a second right arrow go to say 'test' ??

Also, how do I make it go back if I want? I know you can just do the 'left' but how does it know what frame to go back to?

Referring to your links, I am not good with AC so I don't understand the whole listener thing. Sorry for being a bone head! I just want to be able to hit the arrow key left or right to advance or go back. But I don't know how to make it know which frame to go back to. I appreciate it. Oh I am in Flash 8, so I am assuming my AC that I did use that worked is a bit outdated.

Cota
02-20-2006, 11:30 PM
you add a listener...then write an "if" statement.

cgustin
02-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I am sorry, I have never done this before so I am not sure how to go about it, can you elaborate for me? I appreciate it very much!

cgustin
02-21-2006, 06:12 PM
I saw someone else's post, so I added this to the actions

keyObj = new Object();
keyObj.onKeyDown = function() {
if(Key.getCode() == 32) { // space bar
goForward();
} else if(Key.getCode() == 39) { // right arrow
goForward();
} else if(Key.getCode() == 37) { // left arrow
goBackward();
}
};

I am getting an error of this:

**Error** Symbol=mc_contentBackgnd, layer=fake button2, frame=1:Line 1: Statement must appear within on handler
keyObj = new Object();

**Error** Symbol=mc_contentBackgnd, layer=fake button2, frame=1:Line 2: Statement must appear within on handler
keyObj.onKeyDown = function() {

Shouldn't this part of the code work???

cgustin
02-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Can anyone out there help me? I have a deadline approaching and not sure how to complete this action. Thanks so much!

Cota
02-24-2006, 04:58 PM
var keyListener = {};
keyListener.onKeyDown = function()
{
var theKey = Key.getCode();
trace( "keyCode: " + theKey );

switch( theKey )
{
case 32 :
goForward();
break;

case 39 :
goForward();
break;

case 37 :
goBackward();
break;

}
};

Key.addListener( keyListener );

cgustin
02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Wow that was quick. Thanks so much!

falltimemusic
02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm working with Flash Lite 1.0 and im trying to access a key event from a phone or PDA, it seems that Flash Lite is a form of Flash 4. When I try using listeners it comes up with errors. Has anyone here dealt with this before? any info or point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Cota
02-24-2006, 06:52 PM
I found this, it might help
http://www.video-animation.com/flashlite_06.shtml

falltimemusic
02-24-2006, 09:27 PM
I found out that you have to put a button off to the side of the stage that recieves on the onPress events. I can't wait for flash lite 2.0 to come out, so we can all use actionscript 2.0... im not sure if thats true or not, but i think it is.