PDA

View Full Version : using html tags with embed fonts

lpx
02-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi,

I'm having a issue with embed fonts and html text.

I just want to have bold and italic thru html tags and if I dont use embed fonts it works perfectly.

If i use embed fonts everything that is not under the bold or italic tags appears and what was supposed to be in bold/italic dissapears.

For that i embed a font in library with bold and italic included and then i use that font.

i am i missing here?

many thx

oldnewbie
02-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Is this textfield dynamically created or simply set on stage?

You need to embed all 3 styles seperately.

lpx
02-28-2006, 01:12 PM
the textfield is instanciated on stage.

what do you mean by separetadly?

oldnewbie
02-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Then don't set up a new font in the Library (even clear it...) and embed the font's normal outlines though the Character tab in the textfield's properties.

Next, create another small textfield and place it off-stage so that it's unseen.
Select the same font you use in your on stage textfield, hit the Bold tab and simply type a "B" in that textfield. Unselect the Bold tab, and select the Italic tab. Type a "I". Now hit the Character tab and embed the Bold & Italic outlines, in the same manner you embedded the normal font's outlines in your on stage textfield.
You should then have all 3 styles available in your on stage textfield through the use of the proper html tags.

Please note, that depending on the number of glyphs your are embedding, you will raise the file's size by 10 to 30KBs, for each style of each font embedded.

lpx
02-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi,

Sorry. Your instructions are a little bit confusing...

I lost myself here:

Now hit the Character tab and embed the Bold & Italic outlines, in the same manner you embedded the normal font's outlines in your on stage textfield.

And i also didnt understand this:

...embed the font's normal outlines though the Character tab in the textfield's properties.

What do you mean by outlines?

Where have you learn that? By yourself or you read it somewhere?

Many thx,

oldnewbie
02-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Here's an example .fla...

Removed!

lpx
02-28-2006, 04:08 PM
perfect! you rock! ;)

many thx

oldnewbie
02-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Glad to have helped! :)

bilderbach
11-03-2008, 02:30 AM
I know this is old, but I was having the exact same same issue, added the text fields with each outline I need to the stage and its working great, THANKS!

Not understanding why, I am concerned I may have been embedding multiple copies of fonts in my SWF because I have not been doing doing it this way....?

Is there a way to tell how what fonts are embedded in a SWF or a link to an article explaining how I should handle fonts to best preserve SWF size?

Thanks for your help!

GBY,
-R

atomic
11-03-2008, 12:15 PM
IMHO, the best way to embed several fonts & styles, is to use off-stage textfields, where you can easily select & limit the range of the character set you're embedding...

Setting up a new font in the Library, and embedding that one, only allows you to embed the full character set, thus raising your file's size as much as 30KBs per style and per font face embedded...

bilderbach
11-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks fo your hep!

so inside a MC, in a text field, should I still be embedding a font? once I have it on the stage will it match up on its own...?

have you seen any docs on this anywhere i can read more, I have found nothing!

Thanks!
GBY,
-R

yosphorn_s48125
11-10-2008, 01:19 AM
This was a great tutorial! Thanks, I learned a lot!

atomic
11-10-2008, 02:20 AM
Grrreat! ;)